The clock (timer 2) speeds up by a factor of 5 or so. I can only assume that the firmware uses it for something to do with detecting the lid opening again. Timesync doesn't change the local hardware, it just tweaks the kernel's idea of what time it is and of what the clock frequency is. It would cope with the clock change except that I made timesync ignore any huge swings (anything more than 25%) because I had assumed that would only be the result of a samplng mistake. I changed the limits and timesync will now put up with such a change, though it will take some minutes to latch onto the exact new value (needs enough of a time base to compare to). Tell me if this is a problem. Short of actually implementing ACPI, I think this is as good as we can do.