* [9fans] thread(2) man page
@ 2007-09-03  8:34 Markus Sonderegger
From: Markus Sonderegger @ 2007-09-03  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

just to state it. We have int as return type for procexecl, procexec
in the thread(2) man page and void in /sys/src/libthread/exec.c

Regards

* Re: [9fans] thread(2) man page
@ 2007-09-03 13:23 ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2007-09-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> just to state it. We have int as return type for procexecl, procexec
> in the thread(2) man page and void in /sys/src/libthread/exec.c

If it returns at all, there was an error.  If it doesn't return, there
may or may not be an error, but you won't see it.

Exec() probably has the int return value for historical reasons.  I've
never seen code test for it.  What you see is:

	exec(...);
	sysfatal("something went badly wrong: %r");

Sape

* Re: [9fans] thread(2) man page
@ 2007-09-04 15:42   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2007-09-04 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sape Mullender wrote:
> Exec() probably has the int return value for historical reasons.

It was a natural consequence of using common code for (almost)
all error returns in the system library.