From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dvd writing
Date: Tue,  6 Dec 2005 12:11:23 +0200	[thread overview]

> Has anybody managed to write a DVD+R or +RW using Plan 9?
> And if so, how?  Neither scuzz nor cdfs seems to be able
> to write +RW discs on my machine.  I had some luck writing
> a +R disc with my modified scuzz, but there were complications.

I had to perform all sorts of songs and dances to get CDs written on a
do-everything DVD-Recorder.  The device reset the speed on medium
insertion, but that wasn't getting picked up.  I then had to adjust
the (write) speed to match the medium _and_ could never be sure
whether DMA was meant to be on or not, as I have what seems to be a
flaky IDE device or two on that particular host.

Once I got the knack of checking and setting things, I stopped getting
errors part way through writing a track.  As for writing DVDs, I don't
have enough cache space anywhere, even on the network, to hold the
capacity, so I've never had occasion to try.  I'm sure that at the
right speed, cdfs will do the right thing.  In fact, even over the
network, I've been able to create viable CDs, as long as I don't try
to write too fast to them.

++L