* Re: [9fans] Slow response, was /n/sources/contrib/
@ 2007-11-20 10:16 Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2007-11-20 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 19, 2007 5:29 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
> [BTW, has anyone else been having a very slow response time from the list?
> i only just saw that reply and it was sent 22 hours ago]

Nemo also sent a message from gmail yesterday which took some
many hours to get there (the one on us going to the iw9p).
Something odd is happening to the list (and gmail?).
--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] Slow response, was /n/sources/contrib/
@ 2007-11-20 15:49 ` Armando Camarero
From: Armando Camarero @ 2007-11-20 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Gorka Guardiola escribió:
> On Nov 19, 2007 5:29 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [BTW, has anyone else been having a very slow response time from the list?
>> i only just saw that reply and it was sent 22 hours ago]
>>

> Nemo also sent a message from gmail yesterday which took some
> many hours to get there (the one on us going to the iw9p).
> Something odd is happening to the list (and gmail?).

I'd say it has nothing to do with gmail. I sent a message too, but using
my own SMTP server, and got delayed for almost 20 hours.

* Re: [9fans] Slow response, was /n/sources/contrib/
@ 2007-11-20 22:43 ` dave.l
From: dave.l @ 2007-11-20 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Metoo: about 15-20 hours, sent from .mac mail servers.

I suspect a more general problem.
I've noticed our spam load going up at work too...

Funnily enough, I recently read an article about
the possibility of "Internet brown-outs" in a few years
as ancient overloaded infrastructure hits it's limits:
maybe that was one of them:-).

@ 2007-11-21  0:05   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-11-21  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I suspect a more general problem.
> I've noticed our spam load going up at work too...
>
> Funnily enough, I recently read an article about
> the possibility of "Internet brown-outs" in a few years
> as ancient overloaded infrastructure hits it's limits:
> maybe that was one of them:-).

too much slashdot considered harmful.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Slow response, was /n/sources/contrib/
@ 2007-11-21  2:42     ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2007-11-21  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> Funnily enough, I recently read an article about
>> the possibility of "Internet brown-outs" in a few years
>> as ancient overloaded infrastructure hits it's limits:
>> maybe that was one of them:-).

Wikipedia on Bob Metcalfe: ...Metcalfe is perhaps best known for his 1995 prediction that the internet would suffer a
catastrophic collapse the following year; he promised to eat his words if it did not. During his key note speech at the
Sixth WWW International Conference in 1997, he took a printed copy of his column that predicted the collapse, put it in
a blender with some liquid and then consumed the pulpy mass.

Wes Kussmaul

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify attorney Mort Hapless at Vulner, Exposed & Wideopen LLP immediately at either (781) 647-7178, or at
ohoh@vulex.com, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. No, really. Really. Listen, we mean it! Hey,
if you don’t stop reading that confidential stuff about our client you’re in big trouble. OK, we’re the ones in trouble
but we’ll find a way to go after you, or at least we think we may be able to. Look, we’re begging you. Just click the
delete button and move on to a message that concerns you, OK? Please?? We'll buy you lunch...