* [9fans] next-server dhcpd option
@ 2008-02-06  6:28 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2008-02-06  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

how do I specify dhcp options like "next-server" or "option root-path"
in the Plan 9 ndb?

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] next-server dhcpd option
@ 2008-02-06  7:45 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2008-02-06  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> how do I specify dhcp options like "next-server" or "option root-path"
> in the Plan 9 ndb?

based on my limited understanding of what 'next-server' does.  it
seems that it wouldn't be needed because you could import and
aggregate ndb that dhcpd uses.  there are various 'sleep' and ip
ranges options for dhcpd that might help with division of
responsibilities between servers.

about 'option root-path': would bootf parameter in ndb and the
/cfg/pxe/<macaddress> (plan9.ini) be what you're looking for?  or for
a cpu, through /lib/namepsace.cpu

* Re: [9fans] next-server dhcpd option
@ 2008-02-06  8:15   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2008-02-06  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

> aggregate ndb that dhcpd uses.  there are various 'sleep' and ip
> ranges options for dhcpd that might help with division of
> responsibilities between servers.

I have to boot some linux systems from my Plan 9 dns/dhcp/tftp server
via PXE. Pxelinux needs a tftp server which supports the tsize option
and I think the Plan 9 one doesn't do that. So my idea is to redirect
the tftp requests to another tftp server via the next-server option. But
I'm interested in any other solution.

> about 'option root-path': would bootf parameter in ndb and the
> /cfg/pxe/<macaddress> (plan9.ini) be what you're looking for?  or for
> a cpu, through /lib/namepsace.cpu

I try to boot from an AoE target with etherboot/gpxe and on there website
[1] they use:

  filename "";
  option root-path "aoe:eN.M";

I can replace filename with bootf but don't now about root-path.

Matthias

[1] http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/sanboot/aoe_boot

* Re: [9fans] next-server dhcpd option
@ 2008-02-06  8:44     ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2008-02-06  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Feb 6, 2008 9:15 AM, Matthias Teege <matthias-9fs@mteege.de> wrote:

> I have to boot some linux systems from my Plan 9 dns/dhcp/tftp server
> via PXE. Pxelinux needs a tftp server which supports the tsize option
> and I think the Plan 9 one doesn't do that. So my idea is to redirect
> the tftp requests to another tftp server via the next-server option. But
> I'm interested in any other solution.

What about implementing tsize?. :-).

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] next-server dhcpd option
@ 2008-02-06 16:22     ` Kernel Panic
From: Kernel Panic @ 2008-02-06 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Matthias Teege wrote:

>Moin,
>

>>aggregate ndb that dhcpd uses.  there are various 'sleep' and ip
>>ranges options for dhcpd that might help with division of
>>responsibilities between servers.
>>

>I have to boot some linux systems from my Plan 9 dns/dhcp/tftp server
>via PXE. Pxelinux needs a tftp server which supports the tsize option
>and I think the Plan 9 one doesn't do that. So my idea is to redirect
>the tftp requests to another tftp server via the next-server option. But
>I'm interested in any other solution.

i hacked that in some time ago to boot netbsd/linux from plan9:

http://9hal.ath.cx/usr/cinap_lenrek/tftpd.c
/n/sources/contrib/cinap_lenrek/tftpd.c

cinap