* [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server
@ 2008-02-08 19:55 Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-08 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello. In CPU Warlock, it asks me for the following:

	- enter ip netmask gateway as dotted quads i.e. 192.168.1.9
255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
	- echo enter ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local
	- enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom

What does all this mean and what values are best for QEMU? Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server
@ 2008-02-08 20:27 ` mattmobile
From: mattmobile @ 2008-02-08 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
> Hello. In CPU Warlock, it asks me for the following:
>
>     - enter ip netmask gateway as dotted quads i.e. 192.168.1.9
> 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
>     - echo enter ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local
>     - enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom
>
> What does all this mean and what values are best for QEMU? Thanks.

it means what is says

it's asking for the IP netmask & gateway as dotted quads i.e.
192.168.1.9 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

such that 192.168.1.9 is your desired ip, 255.255.255.0 is the netmask
and 192.168.1.1 is the gateway

ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local  adds a dns=ip in to /lib/ndb/local

enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom    is asking you for the
names of your ipnet and the authdom you wish to use
they are just names of your choosing

best for QEMU

by default QEMU issues IP addresses through DHCP from the QEMU instance
and uses 10.0.2.2 as the gateway iirc

see http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html

personally I use vdeq
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vde/build/Using_VDE_with_QEMU_HOWTO.txt

In that way the running Plan 9 CPU server will be available to drawterm,
otherwise you have to play games with QEMU command line options

My QEMU lives on 192.168.254.254

I run
# vde_switch -tap tap0
# ifconfig tap0 192.168.254.254
# chown root:maht /tmp/vde.ctl
# chmod g+w /tmp/vde.ctl

and then

vdeq qemu QEMUOPTIONS

and then I can assign IPs to Qemu running instances that get routed on
their own subnet and I can ping 192.168.254.1 from 10.0.0.2

* Re: [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server
@ 2008-02-08 20:50     ` mattmobile
From: mattmobile @ 2008-02-08 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans >> Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think even just putting DHCP might work

just hack the script, it's only rc

it only adds it to /cfg/sysname/cpurc I think so just edit it afterwards :>

* Re: [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server
@ 2008-02-08 20:52   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-08 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay, so if I do this right, it should be

	something 255.255.255.0 12.0.2.2

However, the something - the regular IP address, is something that I
don't know about. I use Q, a frontend to QEMU for Mac OS X.