From: Armando Camarero <arcepi@arcepi.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Installing Plan 9 on a ICH9 SATA controller.
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:22:20 +0200	[thread overview]

erik quanstrom escribi�:
> it would be useful if you could send the output of lspci to me offline.
> there are many models of ich9.  not all of them have the same properties.
>
> i do have an ich9r controller:
>
> 0.31.2:	01.06.01 8086/2922  10 0:00001c51 16 1:00001c45 16 2:00001c49 16 3:00001c41 16 4:000018e1 32 5:d8d01000 2048
>
> which works with some cavets.  hot plugging does not work and if
> ports are skipped, drives after the skip are not accessable.

lspci -nnv on Linux.

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 6 port SATA AHCI
Controller [8086:2922] (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:b005]
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 506
    I/O ports at e600 [size=8]
    I/O ports at e700 [size=4]
    I/O ports at e800 [size=8]
    I/O ports at e900 [size=4]
    I/O ports at ea00 [size=32]
    Memory at fa106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
    Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/4 Enable+
    Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
    Capabilities: [b0] PCIe advanced features <?>
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
>> Following advice from people in #plan9 I disabled AHCI mode and went for
>> legacy mode:
>> - Install CD booted fine. I could even partition the hard disk. But it
>> can't copy files as it begins throwing lots of I/O errrors while copying
>> files. I tried with DMA enabled and disabled.
>>

> it sounds like you have either a bad drive or a cable problem.  i
> would replace the sata cable first.  it is also possible that you are
> having a problem with power management.  but i don't know how to tell
> if you're using the ide interface.

    I have Windows XP and Linux on this same disk. It can't be a cable
problem. I doubt it is a disk problem either because I/O errors during
file copy seem to be on random disk bloks. Sometimes it copies files
until 2%, others it gets to 13% (I reformat fossil partition every time
I try reinstalling Plan 9)...

>> I switched back to AHCI mode and tried booting the floppy again. Now it
>> shows fd0 and sdE0!9fat as boot devices (9fat partiton is empty, so I
>> can't boot). It seems in AHCI mode it can access hard disk just fine,
>> but it can't access the DVD drive.
>>
>> Both hard disk and DVD drive are connected via SATA to the ICH9 controller.
>>

> make sure they are connected to ports 0 and 1 of the controller.
> (either order.)

    AHCI BIOS detects hard disk on port 0 and DVD recorder on port 1.
And it is consistent with 9load messages regarding drive reset. Should I
be able to access DVD drive on sdF0?
> - erik

Thanks.