From: "Gary V. Vaughan" <gary@gnu.org>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] ape/psh can't exec in 9vx
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:17:24 +0800	[thread overview]

Hi Andrey,

On 24 Sep 2008, at 13:52, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Gary V. Vaughan <gary@gnu.org>
> wrote:
>> Was just starting to settle in to 9vx, but this is a real
>> showstopper:
>>
>> term% ls -ld /bin/ape
>> d-rwxr-xr-x Z 1 gary gary 578 Sep 23 11:28 /bin/ape
>> term%  ls -l /bin/ape/sh
>> --rwxr-xr-x Z 1 gary gary 482209 Sep 23 11:28 /bin/ape/sh
>> term% /bin/ape/uname -a
>> Plan9 vx32 4 0 i386
>> term% ape/psh
>> $ /bin/ape/uname -a
>> /bin/sh: /bin/ape/uname: cannot execute - Access denied
>>
>> Any ideas on how to debug this one?
>
> i couldn't find out what the bug was but it was in the library's
> interaction with the VM environment and not in SH: for example, pcc
> also crashed when attempting to exec ape's 'diff'. acid's truss wasn't
> useful since it immediately faulted with: "invalid opcode 8c 24 d0 at
> eip 000130c3"

Hmmm... so the real problem is with the binaries in the dist tarball?

Which implies that compiling binaries for 9vx.OSX in a regular plan 9
environment is doing something bad.

> anyway, if you just recompile "ape" you will not see the problem, or
> at least that's what worked for me:
>
> % cd /sys/src/ape
> % mk nuke && mk install
> % uname
> uname: '/bin/uname' file does not exist
> % ape/psh
> $ uname -a
> Plan9 vx32 4 0 i386
> $

Yep, works like a charm!  Many thanks again :)

> you may want to do it from the init rc window before you have started
> rio: it crashed the VM with "9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu3" with amazing
> regularity.

I threw caution to the wind and ran the rebuild inside rio, and didn't
have anything unusual happen.  I'll keep an eye out for those panics
though, incase I find a way to get them repeatably.

Does that mean I can also recompile replica in 9vx and have it work
correctly?  Or does ape have special issues of its own that require
a rebuild in the host environment?

Cheers,
	Gary
--