* [9fans] sources pull - cannot boot (sigh)
@ 2002-12-16 17:12 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2002-12-16 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I pulled the latest sources, rebuilt a kernel, and now cannot boot (stop
laughing out there :-(

I get to the
    root is from prompt [local!#S/sdC0/fs]:
so I don't have Fridays problem, and if I press enter I get:

    boot: Cannot connect to file server: '/kfs' file does not exist
    panic boot process died: unknown
    ktrace /kernel/path 80106733 80009f44
    8000...
    8000...
    cpu0 exiting

maybe it is to do with the changes to build a boot script rather than a
a boot executable? I must admit I didn't read the instructions on the wiki
very carefully and just did a
    mk 'CONF=pcdisk' install
after doing the replica.

Any ideas how I get out of this mess ?

I guess I have to create an install disk with a plan9.ini explicitly starting
the
kernel from the floppy, then mount the partitions on my IDE drive manually and
put
a good kernel over the top of the broken one.

Alternatively I suppose I could reinstall - thankfully I do have backups :-)

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] sources pull - cannot boot (sigh)
@ 2002-12-16 19:23 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-12-16 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You don't need to reinstall, but you do need
to get at your plan9.ini.  If you pulled, you should
have gotten a fresh copy of the old kernel in /386/_9pcdisk.

If you can change your plan9.ini to boot from sdC0!fs!/386/_9pcdisk
you should be all set.

If you run Windows on a FAT file system, you can copy
c:\plan9\plan9ini.bak to c:\plan9\plan9.ini and then edit
that -- 9load looks there before 9fat.

If not, http://plan9.bell-labs.com/~rsc/flop.gz is a compressed
floppy image that contains only 9load and a minimal plan9.ini.
You can download that and edit the plan9.ini there (or not;
it will prompt you for a boot file).

As for your actual kernel problem, it sounds like
/sys/src/9/boot/local.c didn't get updated or didn't
get recompiled when you rebuilt your kernel.
The paths in the connectlocal function should
say "/boot/kfs" and not "/kfs".  If they say the
latter, your source is out of date.  If they say the
former, maybe your build used an old object file,
though I thought we had rules in place to do the
right thing.

Russ