* [9fans] space glenda - in acrylic
@ 2008-06-28  3:11 Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2008-06-28  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://flickr.com/photos/redlense/2429073822/

* Re: [9fans] space glenda - in acrylic
@ 2008-06-28  4:02 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-06-28  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jun 27, 2008, at 11:11 PM, Rob Pike wrote:
> http://flickr.com/photos/redlense/2429073822/

Cute. Shame I can't draw for my life :-)

* Re: [9fans] space glenda - in acrylic
@ 2008-06-28 16:46 ` kix
From: kix @ 2008-06-28 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Great!

T-shirts???? I need a new Plan9 t-shirts.

--
kix - http://www.kix.es

@ 2008-06-29  4:22   ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2008-06-29  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I love it...

I am waiting to see that on Guggenheim Museoa soon... ;)

Perhaps some glenda stickers too... I am sure there is enough artwork
to have some nice "merchandise"

@ 2008-06-29  7:22     ` John Waters
From: John Waters @ 2008-06-29  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I would like to see a plain white and otherwise unadorned T-shirt with
the upper-left corner of an Acme window on the front. I often describe
Plan9 (and its fuzzy little mascot) as having an "audi like"
aesthetic. While I admit that the painting is cute I prefer the
original in soft pencil on paper. For me painting Glenda in color
would be akin to hanging a huge carbon fiber wing on an S4, like
adding flashing LEDs to a Karim Rashid table lamp....

My wife and I were just admiring the other works by Renee French, we
decided that we would have to go ahead and buy up as much of her
published materials as possible once we return home from "The
Kingdom".

jcw

@ 2008-06-29  8:55       ` underspecified
From: underspecified @ 2008-06-29  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I second the Acme window t-shirt idea :-)

By the upper-left of an acme window, I assume you mean something like this:

http://cl.naist.jp/~eric-n/osx/acme-sac.tiff

I can't recall for certain, but I believe at some point Caerwyn may
have been using something similar as an icon for Acme SAC.

As an aside, the color selection and geometric layout of acme always
reminded me of the works of Piet Mondrian:

http://cl.naist.jp/~eric-n/osx/acme-stijl.png

I wonder if he was an influence of Rob's or Renee's.

--underspecified

@ 2008-06-29 10:08     ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2008-06-29 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/6/29 Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente <lorenzobivens@gmail.com>:
> Perhaps some glenda stickers too... I am sure there is enough artwork
> to have some nice "merchandise"

Flickr will pass pictures to moo.com so anyone could order their own
pretty easily. Unless there's some permission things in place. I don't
know if you can prepare a set and let other people order it.

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right

* Re: [9fans] space glenda - in acrylic
@ 2008-06-29 15:35         ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2008-06-29 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 1:55 AM, underspecified
<underspecified@gmail.com> wrote:
> I second the Acme window t-shirt idea :-)
>
> By the upper-left of an acme window, I assume you mean something like this:
>
> http://cl.naist.jp/~eric-n/osx/acme-sac.tiff
>
> I can't recall for certain, but I believe at some point Caerwyn may
> have been using something similar as an icon for Acme SAC.
>
> As an aside, the color selection and geometric layout of acme always
> reminded me of the works of Piet Mondrian:
>
> http://cl.naist.jp/~eric-n/osx/acme-stijl.png
>
> I wonder if he was an influence of Rob's or Renee's.

Not directly.  Gerard's designs for the cover of the last published
Plan 9 manual were more strongly influenced.

The color scheme was an attempt to honor a point made originally
in a little brochure by Edward Tufte that the colors of nature are
soft and quiet and peaceful to look at, while most computer screens
are covered in glaring bright colors.  When color came to the system
I wanted it to be pleasant.  Mondrian used only the
primaries so in that regard he's definitely not the man.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] space glenda - in acrylic
@ 2008-06-29 20:30   ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2008-06-29 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.cafepress.com/9fans

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] space glenda - in acrylic
@ 2008-06-29 21:23     ` kix
From: kix @ 2008-06-29 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Anant Narayanan wrote:
> On 28-Jun-08, at 9:46 AM, kix wrote:
>> Great!
>>
>> T-shirts???? I need a new Plan9 t-shirts.
>
> http://www.cafepress.com/9fans
>
> --
> Anant

Yeah! I will order some items.

Thanks kix(.in) ;-)

kix

* Re: [9fans] space glenda - in acrylic
@ 2008-06-30  8:59         ` Peter Penzin
From: Peter Penzin @ 2008-06-30  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/6/29, underspecified <underspecified@gmail.com>:
> I second the Acme window t-shirt idea :-)
>
>  By the upper-left of an acme window, I assume you mean something like this:
>
>  http://cl.naist.jp/~eric-n/osx/acme-sac.tiff
>
>  I can't recall for certain, but I believe at some point Caerwyn may
>  have been using something similar as an icon for Acme SAC.
>
>  As an aside, the color selection and geometric layout of acme always
>  reminded me of the works of Piet Mondrian:
>
>  http://cl.naist.jp/~eric-n/osx/acme-stijl.png
>
>  I wonder if he was an influence of Rob's or Renee's.
>

>  --underspecified

The last one's just became a wallpaper ;)

* Re: [9fans] space glenda - in acrylic
@ 2008-07-01 19:42           ` Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2008-07-01 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs