From: Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] a question of file and the history of magic
Date: Sun,  6 Jul 2008 17:59:21 -0400	[thread overview]

I remember the day I first saw a file magic file.  I welcomed it because
for the first time I didn't have access to the source code.  Those were
the days when you had to have $45k to get the source.  A hard thing to
ask for.  Today a separate magic file is just a leftover vestige of the
past.  There are a lot of things like that.  Do we still need to
compress man pages on 1TB disk driver? :)