From: matt <mattmobile@proweb.co.uk>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Anatomy of a vblade image
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:06:26 +0100	[thread overview]

(In the opposite style to usual, this was meant to go to the list, not
private :)

> i didn't want to sound over-confident.  but vblade
> is very simple; i don't see how it could have data-loosing
> bugs.
I can't even remember how I made it blue-screen but I managed it a
couple of times. I think one time was returning the string "hello" to
whatever read requests were made :>

> what are you doing with (to) vblade?

Trying to do something interesting enough to write a paper for IWP,
I'll get into detail when it works

> snoopy's your friend.  you can test just by killing vblade
> and watching the packets go by.

Wireshark's pretty good too. It even knows how to decode 9p streams.

> good deal.  about a year after i wrote vblade, i used it
> for a couple of months while i saved up for a stand-alone
> aoe target.
:> I'm hoping to get a decent bit of kit together for the office here. I
already boot the Linux terminals from AOE, hope to soon add the Windows
machine.
I built a Plan 9 installer iso that includes aoe & fs as a target but I
haven't managed to get a working Plan 9 system out of it yet - I got a
bit side-tracked :)

In the Linux world kvlade looks the way to go for performance but it
didn't work on AMD64 when I tried it. I guess the Coraid boxes make Plan
9 go fast enough so I just need to stop worrying about it.