* [9fans] Egg and chicken..
@ 2008-07-25 17:19 Robert Hibberdine
From: Robert Hibberdine @ 2008-07-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I have an old sony laptop which has a currently unsupported Neomagic 256
AV+ graphics device. Based on a reading of the XFree Neomagic driver I
have made changes to the kernel and aux/vga and, as you all probably
know ;-), I have re-compiled the kernel etc...(I have another pc running
Plan9)

The question is how best to proceed in getting these changes onto the Sony?

Originally I thought I could mount the plan9.iso change it and burn a
new cd...but this turned out to be a little more complicated than
expected. So I thought I'd better check with you guys to see if there is
another simpler way...

(When I run the installation cd on the Sony it gives up on Rio and drops
me into a full screen rc.)

Thanks

Bob

* Re: [9fans] Egg and chicken..
@ 2008-07-25 17:27 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-07-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

did you do a textinstall onto the sony? even if you haven't, you can
still boot from the cd, configure the network manually at the console,
copy the new kernel to memory and reboot from it.

something like this (not guaranteed to work):

# boot from cd, until you're in rc
% ip/ipconfig # dhcp
% ramfs
% scp somewhere:kernel /tmp/kernel
% echo reboot /tmp/kernel > /dev/reboot

:)

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Robert Hibberdine
<bob.hibberdine@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an old sony laptop which has a currently unsupported Neomagic 256 AV+
> graphics device. Based on a reading of the XFree Neomagic driver I have made
> changes to the kernel and aux/vga and, as you all probably know ;-), I have
> re-compiled the kernel etc...(I have another pc running Plan9)
>
> The question is how best to proceed in getting these changes onto the Sony?
>
> Originally I thought I could mount the plan9.iso change it and burn a new
> cd...but this turned out to be a little more complicated than expected. So I
> thought I'd better check with you guys to see if there is another simpler
> way...
>
> (When I run the installation cd on the Sony it gives up on Rio and drops me
> into a full screen rc.)
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob

* Re: [9fans] Egg and chicken..
@ 2008-07-25 19:17   ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2008-07-25 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you have a PXE able pc, that may be very useful for debugging.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat