* [9fans] Plan 9 on Xen 3.0
@ 2008-10-27 10:23 Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2008-10-27 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi list!

I'd like to build a server to install a virtualized grid with Plan 9,
using XEN.
(The dom0 will be a Debian)

Here: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/OSCompatibility
Plan 9 support for domU installation is said "currently broken".
Is it right? Anyone has experience installing the last version of Plan 9
on XEN 3.0?

If so, any suggestion?

Thanks you all!

Giacomo

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on Xen 3.0
@ 2008-10-27 14:52 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-10-27 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Giacomo Tesio <giacomo@tesio.it> wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I'd like to build a server to install a virtualized grid with Plan 9, using
> XEN.
> (The dom0 will be a Debian)
>

> Here: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/OSCompatibility
> Plan 9 support for domU installation is said "currently broken".
> Is it right? Anyone has experience installing the last version of Plan 9 on
> XEN 3.0?

virtualization is fine. But my recommendation is that you use lguest
or kvm -- not xen. Xen is painful to set up and run.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on Xen 3.0
@ 2008-10-27 23:59 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2008-10-27 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giacomo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I KVM plan 9 on x86-64, only issue is drawterm doesn't work so well on
the host.

    -eric

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:24 PM, giacomo@tesio.it wrote:

>> virtualization is fine. But my recommendation is that you use lguest
>> or kvm -- not xen. Xen is painful to set up and run.
>>
>> ron
>
> Any problem with intel x86_64?
> I knew lguest could guest linux only!
>
> Giacomo

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on Xen 3.0
@ 2008-10-27 22:51 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-10-27 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giacomo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:24 PM,  <giacomo@tesio.it> wrote:
>> virtualization is fine. But my recommendation is that you use lguest
>> or kvm -- not xen. Xen is painful to set up and run.
>>
>> ron
>
> Any problem with intel x86_64?
> I knew lguest could guest linux only!

lguest supports plan 9 guests. I use it regularly.

x86_64? what about using 9vx? Works well for me in that mode.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on Xen 3.0
@ 2008-10-27 22:24 giacomo
From: giacomo @ 2008-10-27 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)