On 11/19/08 17:41, erik quanstrom wrote: >> Ok, I can understand why devproc.c does it: it is easy to discover the >> name of the actual Chan if you know the node in /srv: >> fd = open("#s/stuff", OREAD); >> fd2chan(fd, buf, sizeof(buf)); >> close(fd); >> but not the other way around. Buit why ns(1) doesn't have the above >> code? >> > > i assume that you mean fd2path. Yes. Sorry -- clumsy fingers :-( > i think the answer to your question is that it's a lot more useful > to know that it's #s/boot rather than /net/il/0/data. Really? Why? With /net/il/0/data you have an option of digging deeper and finding out the other end's address, etc. Or to flip the question -- what information does #s/boot provide? > one cares more about what it does than the particulars of the > connection. the fact that #s/boot is the 0th il connection and > not the nth wouldn't matter much unless you were debugging > the ip stack. > > or is there some reason why this is interesting that i'm missing? > Well, to me knowing that mount came out of #s/stuff has never seemed to be all that useful -- I can't imagine a question that this will answer. So, unless I am missing something I'd say it would be much more reasonable for ns(1) to do that translation as much as it does translate /net/il/0/data into the address of the remote end. Once again -- this is a bit of an open-ended question: I just want to know the experience of others and whether they find seeing #s/stuff useful at all. Thanks, Roman.