* [9fans] silly question on ssh
@ 2003-04-15 14:35 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-15 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a linux box running several vmware images of plan 9.

One plan 9 image, running a term and login as glenda, can ssh to the linux
side no trouble. The other, a cpu/auth/kfs server with me logged in as
user bootes, used to work, but nowadays is getting 'client authentication
failed'.

tcpdump shows the client side (plan 9) closing the connection.

What's a good way to start debugging this kind of thing? My keyring is
empty. I'm not really sure where to start, and am ssh-impaired to boot.

Another silly question. Same box. I have a cpu node (real hardware) coming
up with 9load in flash. It is connected to eth0, 10.0.4.1. The vmware
network is vmnet8 @ 172.16.189.1 (vmnet8 as vmware says you have to use
NAT if you have wireless, which I do). I am also routing-impaired :-)

I have tested this cpu hardware downloading plan9 kernels via 9load and a
dhcp/tftp server in linux, and it works. Now I need to have it connect to
the auth server in vmware, and I would most prefer to have it suck the
kernel down from the auth server in vmware.

What I want is to rig things somehow so that the DHCP requests from the
hardware CPU node on the eth0 net (10.0.x.x) go to the vmware auth server
on vmnet8 (172.16.189.x).

I note that broadcasts are not making it from the 10.0.x.x net to the
172.16.189.x net.

OK, anyone know the magic formula to make this work? How many things am I
doing wrong-- countably or uncountably infinite?

ron

* Re: [9fans] silly question on ssh
@ 2003-04-15 14:54 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> One plan 9 image, running a term and login as glenda, can ssh to the linux
> side no trouble. The other, a cpu/auth/kfs server with me logged in as
> user bootes, used to work, but nowadays is getting 'client authentication
> failed'.
>
> tcpdump shows the client side (plan 9) closing the connection.
>
> What's a good way to start debugging this kind of thing? My keyring is
> empty. I'm not really sure where to start, and am ssh-impaired to boot.

Run:

	auth/factotum
	ssh linux-box

so that you don't have any factotum state.
Hopefully you'll get prompted for a key.
It's likely you typed the wrong password
and then factotum held onto it.

> Another silly question. Same box. I have a cpu node (real hardware) coming
> up with 9load in flash. It is connected to eth0, 10.0.4.1. The vmware
> network is vmnet8 @ 172.16.189.1 (vmnet8 as vmware says you have to use
> NAT if you have wireless, which I do). I am also routing-impaired :-)
>
> I have tested this cpu hardware downloading plan9 kernels via 9load and a
> dhcp/tftp server in linux, and it works. Now I need to have it connect to
> the auth server in vmware, and I would most prefer to have it suck the
> kernel down from the auth server in vmware.
>
> What I want is to rig things somehow so that the DHCP requests from the
> hardware CPU node on the eth0 net (10.0.x.x) go to the vmware auth server
> on vmnet8 (172.16.189.x).
>
> I note that broadcasts are not making it from the 10.0.x.x net to the
> 172.16.189.x net.
>
> OK, anyone know the magic formula to make this work? How many things am I
> doing wrong-- countably or uncountably infinite?

I think VMware 4 might be able to do bridged mode over wireless.
I don't remember, but I thought I saw that listed as one of the new features.

Otherwise you'd have to convince the Linux host to act as a router
for the private network and also do DHCP forwarding to the VM network.
Problem is your 10.0.x.x network probably has a default gateway to
get to the rest of the internet, and that default gateway isn't your
VMware box.  You might be able to get this going with some chewing
gum and string, but it won't be pretty.