From: "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] interaction of net.alt and factotum
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:00:33 +0000	[thread overview]

For complex reasons I no longer have a direct internet connection
from one of my plan9 machines, however I can import a /net from
another machine.

I have modified my /lib/ndb/local on my net-crippled machine so it
references authentication servers net.alt, e.g.

	auth=/net.alt/tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com	authdom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com

Unfortunately, because factotum is started by the boot process of this terminal
I cannot use the plumber to put net.alt in its namespace so I have to import net.alt
and then run another instance of auth/factotum in the same window to be able to
connect to sources and do a pull.

I can add net.alt to normal apps using the plumber to run '9fs net.alt' but
the plumber is outside factotums namespace.

In the olden days (I have read) people used to import the internet via datakit
and everything would just work, but that was pre-factotum and its namespace which I
cannot see how to reach.

Am I missing a trick here or is this just how it is?

Is there a way to hook into the napespace of factotum (I beleive there was a kernel
patch to make /proc/??/ns writable which should do it but I was hoping for a solution
that just used "a clever plan9 trick"

-Steve