* [9fans] Thai Chicken
@ 2004-02-23 22:02 dbailey27
From: dbailey27 @ 2004-02-23 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey all,
	According to the UTF documentation I should
be able to type Thai characters using the plan9 compose
sequence: ALT+X+4digit. However, when I type any of
the Thai characters listed in /lib/unicode (with a Unicode
font), they produce nothing.

	Also, the full Thai alphabet is not implemented in
the list /lib/unicode presents. Am I missing something?
I'm just beginning to learn about UTF/Unicode/Runes, so
please forgive me if I am a bit behind.

Don (north_)

* Re: [9fans] Thai Chicken
@ 2004-02-23 22:32 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-23 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hey all,
> 	According to the UTF documentation I should
> be able to type Thai characters using the plan9 compose
> sequence: ALT+X+4digit. However, when I type any of
> the Thai characters listed in /lib/unicode (with a Unicode
> font), they produce nothing.
>
> 	Also, the full Thai alphabet is not implemented in
> the list /lib/unicode presents. Am I missing something?
> I'm just beginning to learn about UTF/Unicode/Runes, so
> please forgive me if I am a bit behind.
>
> Don (north_)

Most likely the font you're using doesn't have glyphs for thai
characters.

Thai is in the range 0x0E00-0x0E70.  if you use the unicode command on
plan9 you can see whether your current font supports them.  for
example the font i normally use for terminal (10646 by markus kuhn)
has some of them:

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/screenshots/thai.gif

So does arialuni (Arial Unicode MS):

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/screenshots/thai2.gif

While both the default Acme fonts don't have any glyphs for Thai characters.

For the glyphs as they're defined by unicode.org look here:

	 http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0E00.pdf

To type the 0e01-th unicode character i type:

	alt+X+0e01

andrey

ps: 10646 and other rather complete fonts can be obtained from:

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/