* [9fans] Second, third edition manuals
@ 2008-06-08  3:17 Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-06-08  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the second or third
edition programmer's manuals? I found the first edition on uriel's
docs site. Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Second, third edition manuals
@ 2008-06-08 16:42 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-06-08 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Did you? I didn't know I had them... all I got from First Edition(
http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/1st_edition/ ) are the Help, CDA and a
general paper about the future of Plan 9 (which covers stuff included
in papers that have been available in later editions).

For Second Edition ( http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/2nd_edition/ ) I
included all papers, mostly for historical interest in case anyone
wants to compare them with any changes that have been made to the same
papers as included this days (exceptions are the Alef, the panel lib
and the raster graphics papers which have been dropped from subsequent
editions).

Third edition as far as I know is basically identical to the current
set of papers in Fourth Edition so I didn't think it was worth the
trouble (and confusion) of including yet another copy of the same
stuff.

If anyone has any papers that are not included in any of the existing
collections I would love to get a copy.

uriel

@ 2008-06-08 17:15   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-06-08 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry, I meant the man pages themselves.

@ 2008-06-09  9:33   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-06-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My memory is that the manuals and papers where missed off the first edition CDROM and so where
published as postscript on the net (sorry if I am wrong, my memory is rusty here).

The first edition documents at still on the toronto archive:
	http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/

Bottom of the page, together with some other bits and pieces for history buffs.

For the seccond edition there is always the wayback machine...

http://web.archive.org/web/19970402233724/plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/vol1.html

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Second, third edition manuals
@ 2008-06-10  2:16     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-06-10  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jun 9, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Steve Simon wrote:

> For the seccond edition there is always the wayback machine...
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/19970402233724/plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/vol1.html

Storage of dynamic content (man2html) on the Wayback Machine is very
poor, but I did find the third edition volume 1 PDF, but for some
reason it only lets me download the first megabyte, which is not
enough (it sends wget into an infinite loop and causes hget to report
"page change underfoot" and abort). I don't know if a PDF of the
second edition was made, and I don't think using man2html will work.

* Re: [9fans] Second, third edition manuals
@ 2008-06-10  2:28       ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-06-10  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Scratch that: I found a more complete one here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010605062456/http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/vol1.pdf

I still reported this technicality/bug, since other people seem to
have it.