* [9fans] I made it home
@ 2009-10-28 16:46 matt
From: matt @ 2009-10-28 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, I've been awake 40 hours or so now but I'm not hallucinating enough
for my liking just yet but at leas the coffee tastes good here!

IWP9 was fab, a big thank you to everyone involved, attending, watching
and those disappointed not to be there.
Sorry to those we managed to lose on Saturday, we all thought the other
had the necessary cell phone nos!

Thanks to Ian for recommending The Grit, great food & delicious vegan
cake, we even went back for breakfast.

Atlanta Fry's was a geek grotto, I half wish I'd had some money left
(the other half is glad not to have a bag full of more gadgets to get
round to playing with!).

Atlanta was a bit of a contrast after Athens, I'm glad I was only there
2 nights. Even then my fake southern accent came in handy for the
occasions I got asked the time while walking around alone in the dark.
Lone white man is more usually known as Mark I think.

Oh how I missed having a smartphone on me with a data connection all the
time.

Here's some links from various conversations.

* Boeing's passenger Wifi <> Pilot fly-by-wire bridge
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2008/01/dreamliner_security

* Apple's flash ram keyboard exploit
http://www.digitalsociety.org/2009/08/apple-keyboards-hacked-and-possessed/

* Cyanide in Apple seeds
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide

* // in URIS
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html

says the BNF for http URL's is

; HTTP

httpurl        = "http://" hostport [ "/" hpath [ "?" search ]]
hpath          = hsegment *[ "/" hsegment ]
hsegment       = *[ uchar | ";" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" ]
search         = *[ uchar | ";" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" ]

Contrary to my assertion and expectation Apache  maps
http://www.maht0x0r.net//////i.php on to document_root/i.php
Personally, I think this is a bug from mapping URIs to filenames, it
should be 404. IE used to strip them out before sending the request but
that is no longer the case (which is why it came up)

Section 3.3 of the RFC says

<path> is an HTTP selector

* James Hamilton's Blog
James is "Vice President and Distinguished Engineer" at Amazon Web
Services, formerly with 12 years at Microsoft and was a driving force
behind the data centre in a shipping container idea and previous to that
did 12 years at IBM. Ok a man that did SQL Server 7.0, Server-Side XML
and IBM's C++ compiler might not be top of everyone's reading list but
the reason I mentioned him at the time was his advocacy of ARM in the
Datacentre

http://perspectives.mvdirona.com/2009/09/07/LinuxApacheOnARMProcessors.aspx

and the skinny on the next breed of ARMs

http://perspectives.mvdirona.com/default,date,2009-09-16.aspx

See you next year

Maht

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-10-28 16:46 UTC | newest]