* [9fans] Examples of rc scripts
@ 2009-11-20 10:24 Maurí­cio CA
From: Maurí­cio CA @ 2009-11-20 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, all,

I found 'werc' in a wikipedia link, and used it
as a source for examples of how to use rc. Are there
other places where I can found rc scripts, as well
as other scripts for plan9 tools?

(By the way, do you know how can I attribute a
here document to a variable?)

Thanks,
Maur�cio

* Re: [9fans] Examples of rc scripts
@ 2009-11-21 16:22 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-11-21 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There was a mailing list for the unix re-implementation
of rc by Byron Rakitzis, this includes many examples
and general info.

Be careful however, there are a few significant syntatic
differenctes between Byron's RC and Plan9's one, I am fairly
sure these are detailed in an appendix at the end of Byron's
paper (in the source package).

info here.

	http://plan9.aichi-u.ac.jp/netlib/9fans/

	http://rc-shell.slackmatic.org/

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Examples of rc scripts
@ 2009-11-23 12:18 ` matt
From: matt @ 2009-11-23 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Maur��cio CA wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I found 'werc' in a wikipedia link, and used it
> as a source for examples of how to use rc. Are there
> other places where I can found rc scripts, as well
> as other scripts for plan9 tools?
>
> (By the way, do you know how can I attribute a
> here document to a variable?)
>
> Thanks,
> Maur�cio

for werc specific rc scripting my project is
http://code.google.com/p/scrappydog/
sadly the running code is down atm as the machine died.

some other examples of mine

http://plan9.bell-labs.com./sources/contrib/maht/rc/

though I'm sure there are better examples in the other contrib dirs

       [not found] <<d65cc7efe2be7edc2d2fca6c0c6f1df6@quintile.net>
@ 2009-11-21 16:41 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-21 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> info here.
>
> 	http://plan9.aichi-u.ac.jp/netlib/9fans/
>
> 	http://rc-shell.slackmatic.org/

wow.  big miscommunication here.  when the original
site went down and i couldn't contact any of my list
of usual byron-rc suspects, i redid freshmeat's listing
to point to something active.  this stuff should all
be in one place.  i'm happy to do the web page as well,
or to give the freshmeat listing to someone else.

- erik
,

* Re: [9fans] Examples of rc scripts
       [not found] <<he5qpa$1dp$1@ger.gmane.org>
@ 2009-11-20 14:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Nov 20 05:26:26 EST 2009, mauricio.antunes@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I found 'werc' in a wikipedia link, and used it
> as a source for examples of how to use rc. Are there
> other places where I can found rc scripts, as well
> as other scripts for plan9 tools?

here are the scripts from the plan 9 distribution.
	http://sources.coraid.com/sources/plan9/rc
and plan 9 ports
	http://code.swtch.com/plan9port/src/tip/bin/

> (By the way, do you know how can I attribute a
> here document to a variable?)

minooka; x=`{cat <<h}
1
2
3

since here docs are redirection, quoting is probablly
easier to use.  also if you're assigning a variable to
the here doc, you're missing the one advantage they
have: reduced memory usage.

- erik