From: maht <maht-9fans@maht0x0r.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Shall we fix the use of Up/Dn arrows?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:20:04 +0000	[thread overview]

On 23/01/2010 19:01, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
>>   Maybe it only
>> happens once in 1000 times, but in that 0.1% of the time, my
>> finger coming down on the return key accidentally hits the up
>> arrow and the timing just so happens that I rerun the previous
>> command instead of the one I just typed, sometimes with very
>> unpleasant consqeuences.
>>
> This is the 1st time I hear about such a misfortune... :)

I've done the same, and it was something scary like rm -rf *

When people complain in irc has no history I say if you need to re-do
commands, use a script and /dev/text is your friend if you are half way
through.

The Scout Motto is: BE PREPARED which means you are always in a state of
readiness in mind and body to do your DUTY.
         * Be Prepared in Mind by having disciplined yourself to be
obedient to every order, and also by having thought out beforehand any
accident or situation that might occur, so that you know the right thing
to do at the right moment, and are willing to do it.
         * Be Prepared in Body by making yourself strong and active and
able to do the right thing at the right moment, and do it.

"To do the right thing at the right moment" can be extreme:

     "Where a man has gone so far as to attempt suicide, a Scout should
know what to do with him."
     "BE PREPARED to die for your country if need be, so that when the
moment arrives you may charge home with confidence, not caring whether
you are going to be killed or not"

>  Not sure how the concept of a line delimited by newlines relates to
moving the cursor up one physical line on the screen.

Working out where to move the cursor to