* [9fans] parallels and plan 9 install cd
@ 2010-02-09 21:29 Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2010-02-09 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay, what's the trick to installing the cd on plan 9.  I'm using the following version of parallels:
build 5.0.9310.

Or I should say I'm not using it.

Here's a screen shot.

[-- Attachment #2: Parallels Picture 1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9616 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] parallels and plan 9 install cd
@ 2010-02-09 21:48 ` Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2010-02-09 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Brantley Coile wrote:
> Okay, what's the trick to installing the cd on plan 9.  I'm using the following version of parallels:
> build 5.0.9310.
>
> Or I should say I'm not using it.
>
> Here's a screen shot.

use:

boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz

You get it from the message: "found partition ...."

Regards,

    Jorge-Le�n

* Re: [9fans] parallels and plan 9 install cd
@ 2010-02-10  6:57   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2010-02-10  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 9, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Georg Lehner wrote:

> Brantley Coile wrote:
>> Okay, what's the trick to installing the cd on plan 9.  I'm using the following version of parallels:
>> build 5.0.9310.
>>
>> Or I should say I'm not using it.
>> Here's a screen shot.
>>

> use:
>
> boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
>
> You get it from the message: "found partition ...."

That's a good choice.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  It seems to depend on some things I've not been able to pick out of the chicken I sacrificed on the latest install.  The same also goes for various BIOS' that require more voodoo than heading out into the bayou in late August for some good noodling.

There's this guy Erik Q.  You might know him as he posts a bit on 9fans.  He has an ISO available called 9atom.iso.bz2 that does have a tendency to get past that initial boot hiccup.  Search 9fans to find the link/url... it does take a little while to pull down though, I really wish he'd get that on a faster mirror...  Remember, sometimes it does take hunting and pecking around sd?? values depending on what's presented: what's printed isn't always what's available...

Let us know how Parallels goes.  I've been too stuck in VMware-land for too long and should look into other options to keep my mind sharp.  I will say, building a custom 9pccpuf for it and using drawterm instead of a VM graphics layer does make it quite responsive.

-jas