* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-10 19:39 Matthew Sottile
From: Matthew Sottile @ 2008-04-10 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I don't know; I didn't know of the existence of any such thing.
> Ron just handed me a tarball one day and said, "Thou Shalt Port This",
> so I did. I'll look at the one on sourceforge.
>
> John

Yep - a basic plan9 version was added to the repo a year or two ago.
I haven't tested it at all though, and I haven't made sure that
changes to the core of FTQ made it into the plan9-specific sections.
You might take a look at it.

-m

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-13 17:58               ` dave.l
From: dave.l @ 2008-04-13 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Actually, in Real Computing, aka "not on your desktop", some groups
> such as, oh, IBM and the US Government (you may have heard of them)
> care about how fast a OS can perform in this kind of thing. They don't
> care about word processors, spreadsheets, web browsers, any of the
> stuff Joe Windowsuser will bitch about; what they really want is fast
> execution of parallel programs... and probably FORTRAN 77.

You and Ron are right.

Also, I didn't really understand what FTQ was trying to measure ...

I'll shut up and go write some drivers.

DaveL

I'm jumping off the top of Guy's Hospital
to support the Myasthenia Gravis Association.

Please support me!

http://www.justgiving.com/davelukes-abseil

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-12  9:18             ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-04-12  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Seriously: what's the point?

i'm sometimes interested in seeing the differences (if any) caused
by certain system changes, with a view to showing that you can be
fast but still straightforward and sane, without a load of ugly code
let alone inlined assembly code and 60,000 lines of include files.

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-12  0:38             ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2008-04-12  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-12  0:35             ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-04-12  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM,  <dave.l@mac.com> wrote:

>  Even if you "prove" that plan9 is "faster" than brandX,

The point is that I use this data in my work. Whether you wish to use
it is up to you.

Some folks have actually made use of this code, e.g. Cray used it to
tune the OS that runs on the 20K CPU XT4.

Yeah, the code seems simple and stupid, but there are a few subtleties
in there, and it may surprise you (it sure surprised me) that this
code is the first code I know of that got those subtleties right. It
was a lot of work and most of it fell on The Math Dude (not me!) to
make sure it was right.

now go write those drivers, and watch yourself if Ken shows up.

ron

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-12  0:23           ` dave.l
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: dave.l @ 2008-04-12  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-04-11  3:17             ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-04-11  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > The two upticks on the top one usually mean trouble with the timer. I
>  > can't imagine why it is happening.
>
>  missyncronized tsc?

Good possibility, but without knowing what it was run on it's hard to
say. Obviously, we have some work to do on plan 9. We should really
check out #p, then fire up enough procs and wire them down.

ron

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-11  2:15           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-04-11  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The two upticks on the top one usually mean trouble with the timer. I
> can't imagine why it is happening.

missyncronized tsc?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-11  1:13         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-04-11  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-04-10 21:33           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-04-10 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the only major difference would be between the respective
"getticks()" and "cycles()" implementations, i think.

@ 2008-04-10 21:28         ` john
From: john @ 2008-04-10 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-04-10 21:05       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-04-10 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-04-10 18:30       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-04-10 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Charles Forsyth <forsyth@terzarima.net> wrote:
> > Ron just handed me a tarball one day and said, "Thou Shalt Port This",
>  > so I did. I'll look at the one on sourceforge.
>
>  i wonder if they'll give the same results!

actually, that's a good test. The worst part is that andrey has told
me many times that the port was out there. I claim advanced brain cell
death on my part

ron

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available
@ 2008-04-10 18:25     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-04-10 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-04-10 17:58     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-04-10 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:28 AM,  <john@csplan9.rit.edu> wrote:
> > how is that different from the Plan 9 port that is already provided
>  > with the ftq (chamatools) distribution from sourceforge?
>  >

>  I don't know; I didn't know of the existence of any such thing.
>  Ron just handed me a tarball one day and said, "Thou Shalt Port This",
>  so I did. I'll look at the one on sourceforge.

yes, well, ron is forgetful sometimes.

what can I say?

ron

* Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available