* [9fans] can't access fossil dumps anymore
@ 2011-06-08 22:13 Nicolas BERCHER
From: Nicolas BERCHER @ 2011-06-08 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi (again),

I can't access the fossil dumps on my recent Plan 9 (fossil+venti) installation.  I can:

   term% 9fs dump

but can't list the dump directory content:

   term% ls -l /n/dump
   ls: /n/dump: block label mismatch

I also have 'overprinted black background messages of the death' saying:

   /boot/fossil: cacheLocalData: addr=427 type got 8 exp 0: tag got 142e41e4 exp 142e41e4

So my questions are:

- Do I have real troubles here?

- I read on the list that this can be solved by restoring back the latest fossil dump
saved to venti.  Is that right in my case?

- How do I achieve this?  (via fossilcons?)

Thanks a lot for your advices,
Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] can't access fossil dumps anymore
@ 2011-06-09 11:28 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2011-06-09 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> - How do I achieve this?  (via fossilcons?)

If you really want to do this, keep in mind you will lose
all your data on your fossil partition. You will definitely
lose all the temporary snapshots and all data not archived
to venti.

First, boot your file server from the cdrom or from another
file server, then run venti:

% venti/venti -m 50%

Define the environment variable $venti:

% venti=127.0.0.1

Print the vac score of the last archival snapshot of fossil:

% fossil/last /dev/sdC0/fossil

It will print something like:

vac:c6788c8c951e24f7cfb1b9d87135eff0cd464b3c

Format the fossil partition using the last archive score:

% fossil/flfmt -v c6788c8c951e24f7cfb1b9d87135eff0cd464b3c /dev/sdC0/fossil

Now you have restored /active and /archive content as they
were at the time of the last archival snapshot.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] can't access fossil dumps anymore
@ 2011-06-10 20:03   ` Nicolas Bercher
From: Nicolas Bercher @ 2011-06-10 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 09/06/2011 13:28, David du Colombier wrote:
>> - How do I achieve this?  (via fossilcons?)
>
> If you really want to do this, keep in mind you will lose
> all your data on your fossil partition. You will definitely
> lose all the temporary snapshots and all data not archived
> to venti.
First of all, thank you for theses clear explanations (typically the one I need as a
beginner).  Does your answer implicitly means that this is the solution to the fossil
message "block label mismatch"?

@ 2011-06-10 20:42     ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2011-06-10 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just saw that I made a mistake in my precedent message.

> % venti/venti -m 50%

Should really be:

% venti/venti -c /dev/sdC0/arenas -m 50%

> Does your answer implicitly means that this is the solution to the
> fossil message "block label mismatch"?

Obviously, something bad happened to your fossil file system.
Recovering from the last archive score should solve your problem,
but you will lost all data not archived to venti.

However, you can also try to use the "check" command of fossilcons.
It's harmless and can be done while fossil is running. Fossil is
automatically halted during the process.

As usual, boot your file server from the cdrom or from another
file server. As described earlier, run venti and define $venti,
then run fossil:

% fossil/fossil -f /dev/sdC0/fossil -m 10%

Open fossilcons:

% con -l /srv/fscons

The run the "check" command with the "fix" parameter to fix all errors:

prompt: check fix

Wait a while, note the result, then you can try to mount your file
system again.

--
David du Colombier