From: Jack Norton <jack@0x6a.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] Survey: Current Fossil+venti Filesystem
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:50:09 -0500	[thread overview]

Fellow 9fans,

I am about to build a large-ish fileserver to go along with my cpu/auth
machines (native and qemu).

I'd like to know some recent real world experiences with fossil+venti.
This stems from rumors that for some people, fossil has a history of
data loss.  I don't like rumors (or data loss), and I'm not on IRC long
enough to digest the gossip, so I want a survey:

who here has lost data with a fossil+venti setup and what were the
circumstances therein?  Also what failed?  Did fossil get hosed and you
had to recall the last snap -- was that successful?  Did your venti
index get mangled?  Did a bunch of porn suddenly show up in your usr
directory (I think we know who's fault that is)?  Your dog tripping over
the power cord with no battery backup doesn't count...

I know this probably gets discussed on IRC all the time, but 9fans
serves as my "stream of thought" manual for plan 9 with permanent
records of damn good information.  Plus I am tired of this damn mousing
debacle -- I'm about to filter out that thread.

-Jack