* [9fans] restarting httpd?
@ 2005-03-29 11:30 Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2005-03-29 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to restart a webserver, or at least
to get it to reconstruct the namespace it is running under?

I have tried killing httpd, but since it is running as none, that has
not been successful.  I don't yet fully grok the nuances of none, so I
might be missing something easy.

My httpd is running on my "everything but terminal" machine
(web/venti/fossil/auth/cpu server).  At the moment I reboot so that I
can start a fresh httpd.

Any pointers as to how I can make this less painful would be highly
appreciated.  Thanks.

Robby

* Re: [9fans] restarting httpd?
@ 2005-03-29 11:46 ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell  @ 2005-03-29 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:30:18PM +0100, Robert Raschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to restart a webserver, or at least
> to get it to reconstruct the namespace it is running under?
>
> I have tried killing httpd, but since it is running as none, that has
> not been successful.  I don't yet fully grok the nuances of none, so I
> might be missing something easy.
>
> My httpd is running on my "everything but terminal" machine
> (web/venti/fossil/auth/cpu server).  At the moment I reboot so that I
> can start a fresh httpd.
>
> Any pointers as to how I can make this less painful would be highly
> appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Robby

Giving yourself permissions over the filesystem if necessary and
doing echo kill > /proc/httpdproc/ctl has always worked for me.
Have you tried this yet?

This may be overkill. I don't know if there might be an even
better way to do it.

--Devon

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] restarting httpd?
@ 2005-03-29 12:18   ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2005-03-29 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:30:18PM +0100, Robert Raschke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if there was a way to restart a webserver, or at least
>> to get it to reconstruct the namespace it is running under?
>>
>> I have tried killing httpd, but since it is running as none, that has
>> not been successful.  I don't yet fully grok the nuances of none, so I
>> might be missing something easy.
>>
>> My httpd is running on my "everything but terminal" machine
>> (web/venti/fossil/auth/cpu server).  At the moment I reboot so that I
>> can start a fresh httpd.
>>
>> Any pointers as to how I can make this less painful would be highly
>> appreciated.  Thanks.
>>
>> Robby
>>

> Giving yourself permissions over the filesystem if necessary and
> doing echo kill > /proc/httpdproc/ctl has always worked for me.
> Have you tried this yet?

BTW:
/rc/bin/Kill gives an appropriate command line to chmod and kill
processes of a given name.

| cpu% Kill httpd
| chmod 666 /proc/99/ctl;echo kill > /proc/99/ctl
| cpu%

Heiko

* Re: [9fans] restarting httpd?
@ 2005-03-29 14:27     ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2005-03-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

heiko.dudzus@gmx.de wrote
> BTW:
> /rc/bin/Kill gives an appropriate command line to chmod and kill
> processes of a given name.
>

> | cpu% Kill httpd
> | chmod 666 /proc/99/ctl;echo kill > /proc/99/ctl
> | cpu%

Excellent.  That worked fine (some day I will get round to
understanding exactly what you can do withnone).  Thanks.

One for the "tip o' the day" file.

Robby