* [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-25 10:03 Jessica Yu
From: Jessica Yu @ 2014-01-25 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello all,

I realize it's probably a bit early to be asking, but I'm curious if Plan 9
will be applying to participate in this year's GSoC. I'd definitely be
interested in participating as a student!

Thanks!
Jessica.

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-25 15:42 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-01-25 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 4:03 AM, Jessica Yu <jyu@cowsay.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I realize it's probably a bit early to be asking, but I'm curious if Plan 9
> will be applying to participate in this year's GSoC. I'd definitely be
> interested in participating as a student!

Welcome Jessica!

Do you have a feeling for what you might like to work on? We haven't
compiled a list of projects yet, but early proposals (even vague ones)
are a great help.

(FWIW, Anthony Sorace is our esteemed GSoC ring-leader)

Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-25 22:59   ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2014-01-25 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i have some suggestions for projects... would you like to hear them?...

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 4:03 AM, Jessica Yu <jyu@cowsay.org> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I realize it's probably a bit early to be asking, but I'm curious if
> Plan 9
> > will be applying to participate in this year's GSoC. I'd definitely be
> > interested in participating as a student!
>
> Welcome Jessica!
>
> Do you have a feeling for what you might like to work on? We haven't
> compiled a list of projects yet, but early proposals (even vague ones)
> are a great help.
>
> (FWIW, Anthony Sorace is our esteemed GSoC ring-leader)
>
> Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  0:09     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2014-01-26  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yes, I am expecting to put forward an application on our behalf again. It's not as early as you might think: much of the schedule is shifted earlier this year. Org applications open in ~3 weeks.

> i have some suggestions for projects... would you like to hear them?...

Sure. You are, of course, welcome to discuss them here or wherever else you like, but give me a few days and we'll have the wiki pages in order for collecting them and providing details and discussion for prospective students.

Your friendly neighborhood GSoC admin,
Anthony

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  1:42       ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2014-01-26  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ok...

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> Yes, I am expecting to put forward an application on our behalf again.
> It's not as early as you might think: much of the schedule is shifted
> earlier this year. Org applications open in ~3 weeks.
>
> > i have some suggestions for projects... would you like to hear them?...
>
> Sure. You are, of course, welcome to discuss them here or wherever else
> you like, but give me a few days and we'll have the wiki pages in order for
> collecting them and providing details and discussion for prospective
> students.
>
> Your friendly neighborhood GSoC admin,
> Anthony

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  2:14         ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-01-26  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Conor Williams
<conor.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok...

Feel free to send your ideas to the list in the meantime...

Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  2:37           ` Conor Williams
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Conor Williams @ 2014-01-26  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       ·        A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device

·        A GUI builder for the Plan 9 control graphics library

·        Porting of the Tcl tool-kit Tk and the Tk GUI builder Xf

·        VRML support for the Httpd

·        Writing of an editor similar to Vi for Plan 9

·        An Html front end to the PQ database system. This would involve
adding PQ support to the Httpd

·        Java support for Plan 9

·        A lockable screen saver for Plan 9

·        Mpeg support for Plan 9

·        Addition of load balancing support into Plan 9

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 2:14 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Conor Williams
> <conor.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ok...
>
> Feel free to send your ideas to the list in the meantime...
>
> Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  3:37             ` Shane Morris
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-01-26  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My vote is on the GUI builder - I'd like to see that one happen. Sorry, I
don't think I'm GSoC material, I just build hardware, and put the minimum
level of software on it to work...

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Conor Williams <conor.williams@gmail.com>wrote:

>        ·        A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device
>
> ·        A GUI builder for the Plan 9 control graphics library
>
> ·        Porting of the Tcl tool-kit Tk and the Tk GUI builder Xf
>
> ·        VRML support for the Httpd
>
> ·        Writing of an editor similar to Vi for Plan 9
>
> ·        An Html front end to the PQ database system. This would involve
> adding PQ support to the Httpd
>
> ·        Java support for Plan 9
>
> ·        A lockable screen saver for Plan 9
>
> ·        Mpeg support for Plan 9
>
> ·        Addition of load balancing support into Plan 9
>

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 2:14 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Conor Williams
>> <conor.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > ok...
>>
>> Feel free to send your ideas to the list in the meantime...
>>
>> Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  4:00               ` Calvin Morrison
From: Calvin Morrison @ 2014-01-26  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Did anyone post a recoup of the GSOC 13 results? I'd like to see what
happened, what process was made. Did that draw(3) html frontend ever
get finished?

On 25 January 2014 22:37, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:
> My vote is on the GUI builder - I'd like to see that one happen. Sorry, I
> don't think I'm GSoC material, I just build hardware, and put the minimum
> level of software on it to work...
>

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Conor Williams <conor.williams@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>        ·        A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device
>>
>> ·        A GUI builder for the Plan 9 control graphics library
>>
>> ·        Porting of the Tcl tool-kit Tk and the Tk GUI builder Xf
>>
>> ·        VRML support for the Httpd
>>
>> ·        Writing of an editor similar to Vi for Plan 9
>>
>> ·        An Html front end to the PQ database system. This would involve
>> adding PQ support to the Httpd
>>
>> ·        Java support for Plan 9
>>
>> ·        A lockable screen saver for Plan 9
>>
>> ·        Mpeg support for Plan 9
>>
>> ·        Addition of load balancing support into Plan 9
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 2:14 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Feel free to send your ideas to the list in the meantime...
>>>
>>> Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  4:04                 ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-01-26  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It did something, I recall. It was on the list much time after the GSoC had
finished, mostly working I believe. Looked good!

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey@gmail.com>wrote:

> Did anyone post a recoup of the GSOC 13 results? I'd like to see what
> happened, what process was made. Did that draw(3) html frontend ever
> get finished?
>
> On 25 January 2014 22:37, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My vote is on the GUI builder - I'd like to see that one happen. Sorry, I
> > don't think I'm GSoC material, I just build hardware, and put the minimum
> > level of software on it to work...
> >

> > On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Conor Williams <
> conor.williams@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>        ·        A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device
> >>
> >> ·        A GUI builder for the Plan 9 control graphics library
> >>
> >> ·        Porting of the Tcl tool-kit Tk and the Tk GUI builder Xf
> >>
> >> ·        VRML support for the Httpd
> >>
> >> ·        Writing of an editor similar to Vi for Plan 9
> >>
> >> ·        An Html front end to the PQ database system. This would involve
> >> adding PQ support to the Httpd
> >>
> >> ·        Java support for Plan 9
> >>
> >> ·        A lockable screen saver for Plan 9
> >>
> >> ·        Mpeg support for Plan 9
> >>
> >> ·        Addition of load balancing support into Plan 9

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  4:15                   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-01-26  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgecomberts, 9fans

On Sat Jan 25 23:05:56 EST 2014, edgecomberts@gmail.com wrote:

> It did something, I recall. It was on the list much time after the GSoC had
> finished, mostly working I believe. Looked good!

the draw device in js was completed.  the student continues to make good
and steady progress and is working on the server side at this point.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  4:18                     ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-01-26  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good work!

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> On Sat Jan 25 23:05:56 EST 2014, edgecomberts@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > It did something, I recall. It was on the list much time after the GSoC
> had
> > finished, mostly working I believe. Looked good!
>
> the draw device in js was completed.  the student continues to make good
> and steady progress and is working on the server side at this point.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  4:33             ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-01-26  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Conor Williams
<conor.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
> ·        A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device

I'd love to see this - device driver work can be difficult, though
rewarding. I would be happy to mentor anyone willing to take up this
challenge.

Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  4:37               ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-01-26  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.gizmosphere.org/why-gizmo/gizmoboard/

I'd like to see Plan 9 fully support this board. The chipset is a closed
ecosystem with embedded microcontroller capabilities, such as GPIO.
Anything you add on the PCI-e would need further drivers, obviously.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Conor Williams
> <conor.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ·        A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device
>
> I'd love to see this - device driver work can be difficult, though
> rewarding. I would be happy to mentor anyone willing to take up this
> challenge.
>
> Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  4:38               ` Salman Javaid
From: Salman Javaid @ 2014-01-26  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Steven, this USB 3 [0] device driver implementation seems to be an
interesting project. Is this something you will be interested in?

[0] http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/TODO/index.html

Best Regards,
Salman Javaid

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Conor Williams
> <conor.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ·        A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device
>
> I'd love to see this - device driver work can be difficult, though
> rewarding. I would be happy to mentor anyone willing to take up this
> challenge.
>
> Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  6:22                 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-01-26  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Salman Javaid <javaid.salman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steven, this USB 3 [0] device driver implementation seems to be an
> interesting project. Is this something you will be interested in?
>
> [0] http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/TODO/index.html

That's going to be a bit much to chew off for a student project. USB
is a non-trivial mess of pain and frustration, even for the
experienced. If someone is getting started with driver work, the most
successful path will likely be implementing a simple part (even if
it's an old one). Ethernet and UARTs come to mind - they tend to be
the simplest. I think at one point there was a call out to get GPIO
working on the Raspberry Pi - that would be a good summer project if
it hasn't been done already. GPIO can be a lot of fun, especially if
you have a couple of protoboards laying around.

Anyhow, when it comes to GSoC it's far more important to focus on
attainable goals - it's a lot more fun for the student (and the
mentor) when something working comes out at the end.

HTH,

Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  6:24                   ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-01-26  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Steve, Krystian in Poland has tackled GPIO on the RaspberryPi. I can fish
up his repos if needed...

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Salman Javaid <javaid.salman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Steven, this USB 3 [0] device driver implementation seems to be an
> > interesting project. Is this something you will be interested in?
> >
> > [0] http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/TODO/index.html
>
> That's going to be a bit much to chew off for a student project. USB
> is a non-trivial mess of pain and frustration, even for the
> experienced. If someone is getting started with driver work, the most
> successful path will likely be implementing a simple part (even if
> it's an old one). Ethernet and UARTs come to mind - they tend to be
> the simplest. I think at one point there was a call out to get GPIO
> working on the Raspberry Pi - that would be a good summer project if
> it hasn't been done already. GPIO can be a lot of fun, especially if
> you have a couple of protoboards laying around.
>
> Anyhow, when it comes to GSoC it's far more important to focus on
> attainable goals - it's a lot more fun for the student (and the
> mentor) when something working comes out at the end.
>
> HTH,
>
> Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  6:25                 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-01-26  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.gizmosphere.org/why-gizmo/gizmoboard/
>
> I'd like to see Plan 9 fully support this board. The chipset is a closed
> ecosystem with embedded microcontroller capabilities, such as GPIO. Anything
> you add on the PCI-e would need further drivers, obviously.

That might be a tough sell. Students are almost universally poor - the
Gizmo's are pretty pricey, especially when you compare it to the
number of cheap ARM boards that are out there. Even adding support for
another x86 board can be a pain in the ass - it's probably too lofty a
goal for a GSoC project.

Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  6:28                     ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-01-26  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve, Krystian in Poland has tackled GPIO on the RaspberryPi. I can fish up
> his repos if needed...

Very cool! I need to find some time to boot the pi I have at the
house. It's been sitting in the box since I picked it up.

Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  6:30                       ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-01-26  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Oh, I didn't say the Gizmo for a GSoC, it was a passing comment... I'd
probably pay someone to do it, and give me the time for it...

Now to make money building widgets at uni...

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Steve, Krystian in Poland has tackled GPIO on the RaspberryPi. I can
> fish up
> > his repos if needed...
>
> Very cool! I need to find some time to boot the pi I have at the
> house. It's been sitting in the box since I picked it up.
>
> Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26  7:58   ` Jessica Yu
From: Jessica Yu @ 2014-01-26  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Do you have a feeling for what you might like to work on? We haven't
> compiled a list of projects yet, but early proposals (even vague ones)
> are a great help.
>
> (FWIW, Anthony Sorace is our esteemed GSoC ring-leader)
>
> Steve

I do! I'm particularly interested in filesystems in general and would
love to work on fossil/venti, perhaps improve fossilcons or fix known
bugs? Databases are another interest of mine and I'd be willing to
working on pq (e.g. the html frontend idea that Conor listed)
I also have Plan 9 on an rpi and would also be interested in working
on the rpi port, though I'm a newbie when it comes to working with
embedded systems.

I know these are all super vague -- I'll probably have more fleshed
out ideas after a bit more poking around the docs and the mailing list
:-) Anyways, I'm really excited to hear that Plan 9 will be applying
to GSoC!

Jessica.

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26 14:43             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-01-26 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ·        A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device
>
> ·        A GUI builder for the Plan 9 control graphics library
>
> ·        Porting of the Tcl tool-kit Tk and the Tk GUI builder Xf
>
> ·        VRML support for the Httpd
>
> ·        Writing of an editor similar to Vi for Plan 9
>
> ·        An Html front end to the PQ database system. This would involve
> adding PQ support to the Httpd
>
> ·        Java support for Plan 9
>
> ·        A lockable screen saver for Plan 9
>
> ·        Mpeg support for Plan 9
>
> ·        Addition of load balancing support into Plan 9

without addressing these particular ideas, these are the things that i've found
helpful as a mentor spotting projects likely to be finished in a summer.

1.  the project should be of personal interest to the student.  it helps guide
decisions, it helps motivation, etc.  build something for yourself that happens
to be of interest to the community.

2.  the project needs to be fully scoped out.  some projects are conceptually
straightforward, but require mountains of code to implement.  some projects
are conceptually interesting and take less code.  projects that require lots of
code often run into trouble.

3.  planning that allow time for a false start.

4.  a stepwise plan.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26 16:15               ` Tristan
From: Tristan @ 2014-01-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm not eligable for either a mentor or student position, but...

> 1.  the project should be of personal interest to the student.  it helps guide
> decisions, it helps motivation, etc.  build something for yourself that happens
> to be of interest to the community.

> 2.  the project needs to be fully scoped out.  some projects are conceptually
> straightforward, but require mountains of code to implement.  some projects
> are conceptually interesting and take less code.  projects that require lots of
> code often run into trouble.

i was just reminded of an idea for a tag-based filing system. in this
context, i would imagine a file server that took, say:

crypto/
	djb/
		salsafamily.pdf
math/
	djb/
		grumpy.pdf

and turned it into:

crypto/
	djb/
		salsafamily.pdf
	salsafamily.pdf
math/
	djb/
		grumpy.pdf
	grumpy.pdf
djb/
	crypto/
		salsafamily.pdf
	math/
		grumpy.pdf
	salsafamily.pdf
	grumpy.pdf

just to throw it out there.
tristan

--
All original matter is hereby placed immediately under the public domain.

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-26 19:17                 ` Muhammad Junaid Muzammil
From: Muhammad Junaid Muzammil @ 2014-01-26 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

 I am very much interested towards the Raspberry PI port. I do have some
experience working with embedded systems and I really do love it. I
personally owe rev B board, so looking forward for some ideas into this.

Regards,
Junaid

@ 2014-01-26 22:02     ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-01-26 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Jessica Yu <jyu@cowsay.org> wrote:
> I do! I'm particularly interested in filesystems in general and would
> love to work on fossil/venti, perhaps improve fossilcons or fix known
> bugs? Databases are another interest of mine and I'd be willing to
> working on pq (e.g. the html frontend idea that Conor listed)
> I also have Plan 9 on an rpi and would also be interested in working
> on the rpi port, though I'm a newbie when it comes to working with
> embedded systems.

File systems?! Well, we could probably find something for you there. I
would probably suggest we work on your own filesystem (to solve a
specific problem) rather than bug hunt in fossil and venti. I think
you would get more out of it and quite frankly it's core to how Plan 9
tends to approach most problems. Doing this on an rpi would be the
same as any other CPU server, so you could potentially combine the two
for some extra fun.

> I know these are all super vague -- I'll probably have more fleshed
> out ideas after a bit more poking around the docs and the mailing list
> :-) Anyways, I'm really excited to hear that Plan 9 will be applying
> to GSoC!

Not at all. If you'd like to chat some more about a potential
proposal, please feel free to bug anyone. I'm glad to see some genuine
interest this year!

Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-27  4:35     ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2014-01-27  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I do! I'm particularly interested in filesystems in general and would
> love to work on fossil/venti, perhaps improve fossilcons or fix known
> bugs?

Funny you should mention file systems.  As it turns out, I've been
working on a new file system for Plan 9 recently.  It's too early to
make any commitments for GSoC, but there might be a project
opportunity related to it.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-27 15:17       ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2014-01-27 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Did anyone ever implement up a Bonjour/Zeroconf service for Plan 9?

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-27 16:24         ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-01-27 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:

> Did anyone ever implement up a Bonjour/Zeroconf service for Plan 9?

I've started a couple of times now, but never got very far due to lack
of time. I'd really like to see mDNS added to ndb, especially given
how common it is to see Macs and Plan 9 machines on the same network.

Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-01-27 17:31           ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2014-01-27 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yes, and being able to add a “pdl=application/pdf” could make the
Raspberry Pi a very nice little Airprint bridge for older Postscript
printers.

On Jan 27, 2014, at 10:24 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've started a couple of times now, but never got very far due to lack
> of time. I'd really like to see mDNS added to ndb, especially given
> how common it is to see Macs and Plan 9 machines on the same network.

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-30 12:16             ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2014-01-30 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FWIW

vi does run on plan9 - fgb did a curses port and
vim runs under that, various people turn in their graves
if you try to use it however.

there is also a lockable screensaver called screenlock(1)

what kind of MPEG support do you want? Audio support is not bad,
I have a port of an aac audio decoder and there is mp3 encoders
and decoders.

Mpeg2 video should not be too hard, Mpeg4, H264, etc are nastier
but where do you stop. there is a new encoding standard per month
these days.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] GSoC '14
@ 2014-04-25 11:54               ` Conor Williams