* [9fans] Acer with 9atom.iso: out of physical memory
@ 2009-08-26  8:59 Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2009-08-26  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Everybody,

I try to install our favourite operating system on an Acer emachines
E525 laptop. Installation succeeded with Erik's 9atom.iso, but I
cannot boot. Here is the whole story:

- 1. Plan 9 install CD (of Aug. 15):

PBS1...
Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0C00
pcirouting: South Bridge 8086, 2919 not found

...aaaand hangup both in IDE and AHCI mode. not even Ctrl+Alt+Del
works. I suspect the buggy BIOS, but both Ubuntu 9.04 and WinXP worked
(the latter only in IDE mode).

- 2. Erik's 9atom.iso (of Aug. 16 22:13 PM) in IDE mode:

PBS1... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0C00
sdata: blind probe 1f0
sdata: blind probe 170
aoepnp(nil)
found 54 e820 entries
Boot devices: fd0
boot from:

...aaaand nothing is accepted, CD is probably not recognized (I tried
the usual combinations).

- 3. Erik's 9atom.iso in AHCI mode works!

hard drive is sdE0, CD is sdE1, bad process or channel control
request: "dma on", touchpad is ps2 mouse, vga works with 1024x768x32,
installation successful.

-4. trying to boot, after I log in as glenda, fossil says repeatedly:

out of physical memory, no swap configured

RAM is 2 GB, partition is 2 GB, i selected fossil only, i accepted the
default in prepdisk (i admit, i didnt look at it carefully, but it was
never a problem before). Any suggestions?

Greetings: Béla

* Re: [9fans] Acer with 9atom.iso: out of physical memory
@ 2009-08-26  9:07 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-26  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> PBS1...
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> ELCR: 0C00
> pcirouting: South Bridge 8086, 2919 not found
>
> ...aaaand hangup both in IDE and AHCI mode. not even Ctrl+Alt+Del
> works. I suspect the buggy BIOS, but both Ubuntu 9.04 and WinXP worked
> (the latter only in IDE mode).

nope this is standard ich* behavior.  the
standard sd driver doesn't work around it.

> - 2. Erik's 9atom.iso (of Aug. 16 22:13 PM) in IDE mode:
>
> PBS1... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> ELCR: 0C00
> sdata: blind probe 1f0
> sdata: blind probe 170
> aoepnp(nil)
> found 54 e820 entries
> Boot devices: fd0
> boot from:

i'll take a look at this.  looks like a bug.  the number of e820
entries is also curious.

> -4. trying to boot, after I log in as glenda, fossil says repeatedly:
>
> out of physical memory, no swap configured
>
> RAM is 2 GB, partition is 2 GB, i selected fossil only, i accepted the
> default in prepdisk (i admit, i didnt look at it carefully, but it was
> never a problem before). Any suggestions?

what does /dev/swap say?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Acer with 9atom.iso: out of physical memory
@ 2009-08-26 10:26   ` Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2009-08-26 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i'll take a look at this.  looks like a bug.  the number of e820
> entries is also curious.

when its already installed, the system says at boot time: found 1 e820 entries

> what does /dev/swap say?
>
> - erik

I checked with disk/prep in live CD mode, 9fat = 100 MB, nvram = 512
B, fossil = 1.44 GB, swap = 370.63 MB

fossil reports 'out of physical memory' immediatelly when its mounting
the partition. I cant get to take a look at /dev/swap.

Thanks for helping: Béla

* Re: [9fans] Acer with 9atom.iso: out of physical memory
@ 2009-08-26 10:35     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-26 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> fossil reports 'out of physical memory' immediatelly when its mounting
> the partition. I cant get to take a look at /dev/swap.

can you use the boot cd to modify plan9.ini to set
*e820print=1
?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Acer with 9atom.iso: out of physical memory
@ 2009-08-26 12:05       ` Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2009-08-26 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/8/26 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
>> fossil reports 'out of physical memory' immediatelly when its mounting
>> the partition. I cant get to take a look at /dev/swap.
>
> can you use the boot cd to modify plan9.ini to set
> *e820print=1
> ?
>
> - erik

I tried it, nothing changed

* Re: [9fans] Acer with 9atom.iso: out of physical memory
@ 2009-08-26 12:23         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-26 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Aug 26 08:07:15 EDT 2009, bvalek2@gmail.com wrote:
> 2009/8/26 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
> >> fossil reports 'out of physical memory' immediatelly when its mounting
> >> the partition. I cant get to take a look at /dev/swap.
> >
> > can you use the boot cd to modify plan9.ini to set
> > *e820print=1
> > ?
> >
> > - erik
> >

> I tried it, nothing changed

it wasn't expected that anything would change.
i was interested in the e820 output.  if you
would send that along, that would be helpful.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Acer with 9atom.iso: out of physical memory
@ 2009-08-26 12:39           ` Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2009-08-26 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> it wasn't expected that anything would change.
> i was interested in the e820 output.  if you
> would send that along, that would be helpful.
>
> - erik

Oh, sorry. The install disk wrote '54 e820', the installed system
already writes '1 e820' without this line added.

* Re: [9fans] Acer with 9atom.iso: out of physical memory
@ 2009-08-26 13:06             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-26 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Oh, sorry. The install disk wrote '54 e820', the installed system
> already writes '1 e820' without this line added.

however, with the *e820print=1 line added to plan9.ini,
we will see what memory range we're finding.  that's what
would be interesting.

- erik