* [9fans] upas/send -r
@ 2016-09-23 23:31 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2016-09-23 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'v been getting emails send to my mailserver for random
unknown accounts which produces bounce emails for the
unsuspecting victims in the reply-to header. thinking if
upas/send should reject mails instead when called from
smtpd to avoid the backscatter. patched my local version
so upas/send will never produce a bounce when passed the
-r flag and print "mail rejected: ...." to standard error
instead. this causes smtpd to return a 5.0.0 status.

are there good reasons not to do this in general?

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] upas/send -r
@ 2016-09-24  1:19 ` Erik Quanstrom
From: Erik Quanstrom @ 2016-09-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] upas/send -r
@ 2016-09-24  1:38   ` Jules Merit
From: Jules Merit @ 2016-09-24  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My cable company set my IP to my home address.  All sorts of MITM, spoofing.
eurocorp.us (68.111.201.89) EscondidoCounty 1829
There are 9fans in JadeHelm wargames.
I'm James Jake Niantic, .dk Orphilla.
(6:19)pm confirmed Erich, I ChKe

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Erik Quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
wrote:

> that's an interesting topic.  I believe the best approach is to reject the
> incoming connection.  the bypass mods are pretty good at rejecting bogus
> sends by just enforcing RFC rules for helo.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] upas/send -r
@ 2016-09-28  3:08     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2016-09-28  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Sep 23 18:40:00 PDT 2016, jules.merit.eurocorp.us@gmail.com wrote:

> My cable company set my IP to my home address.  All sorts of MITM, spoofing.
> eurocorp.us (68.111.201.89) EscondidoCounty 1829
> There are 9fans in JadeHelm wargames.
> I'm James Jake Niantic, .dk Orphilla.
> (6:19)pm confirmed Erich, I ChKe
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Erik Quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
> wrote:
>
> > that's an interesting topic.  I believe the best approach is to reject the
> > incoming connection.  the bypass mods are pretty good at rejecting bogus
> > sends by just enforcing RFC rules for helo.

the rfc only requires that the helo be a valid dns name.  so you would not be filtered
based on spoofing, but you would be filtered if you said you were machine.local, as
many windows boxes do by default.

- erik