* [9fans] Installation problem during mountdist
@ 2004-03-22 10:08 Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2004-03-22 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,  My plan9 installation is going smoothly up until I get to the
mountdist task, where I keep getting the following error after
selecting the 'storage media' that the distribution disk is contained
on:

# /dev/sdD1/fs is a partition I created during the installation
# process and I have also tried on a linux ext2fs and on a
# burned cd iso
Distribution disk [no default]: /dev/sdD1/fs
# I've already browsed on a number of occasions and still get the same
problem Location of archives [browse]: /dist
# I always get this error message here no matter what media i use
Preparing menu...mount: mount /n/dist: I/O read error
mount: mount /n/dist: I/O read error

# ...which then takes me back to the mountdist option.

I thought it might be a hardware problem with the older disk I was
using, but I got the same error with a different hard disk *and* when
I try to select the cd that I burned plan9.iso onto as well.  After
trying 3 different media, I'm starting to think that this might be a
software problem, so I thought I would ask the experts.

Anybody have any advice or wisdom to help me solve this problem?
Replies by email are appreciated since I only have usenet acess
through google, and I don't check too frequently.

--
Burton Samograd
kruhft .@. hotmail

* Re: [9fans] Installation problem during mountdist
@ 2004-03-22 14:18 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-22 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

when installing from a cd (say /dev/sdC1 or /dev/sdD0, it'll tell you
which one it is at the beginning):

> Distribution disk [no default]: /dev/sdD1/fs

give the data partition of the cd rom here (it should list them all
beforehand so you can see which device has it):

	/dev/sdD0/data or /dev/sdC1/data, whichever is the cdrom.

> # I've already browsed on a number of occasions and still get the same
> problem Location of archives [browse]: /dist

if installing from cdrom simply hit ^D -- it will pick it up from the
root of the data partition.

andrey