* [9fans] Adding Hard disk to my cpu server.
@ 2006-03-06 17:44 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2006-03-06 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started transfering files from my old linux server to my plan auth/cpu server.
I now have a spare harddisk that I like to install on my cpu server.
the cpu server
was installed with the fossil+venti option.

I have a few question due to paranioa and stupidity
1. I have two hd installed sdC0 is the fossil+venti cpu server. sdC1
is the new hd.
  Is it safe fdisk and prep the other hd without damaging the data on sdC0?

2. How do I update venti.conf to include the new arenas?

thanks
,Fernan

--
Public PGP/GnuPG key (http://www.fernski.com)
pub 1024D/3576CA71 2006-02-02 Fernan Bolando

* Re: [9fans] Adding Hard disk to my cpu server.
@ 2006-03-06 18:01 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-06 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> I have a few question due to paranioa and stupidity
> 1. I have two hd installed sdC0 is the fossil+venti cpu server. sdC1
> is the new hd.
> Is it safe fdisk and prep the other hd without damaging the data on sdC0?

Of course.

> 2. How do I update venti.conf to include the new arenas?

After you fmtarenas the new arena partition, you can
just add a new arenas line at the end of venti.conf and
then run fmtindex.  You must run fmtindex when venti
is *not* running.  Since you use venti to boot, you'll want
to do this using an install CD (boot as a live CD).

Russ