From: nigel@9fs.org
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] ddc
Date: Thu,  7 Nov 2002 10:59:14 +0000	[thread overview]

> This sort of attitude does nothing but contribute to the failure of Plan 9
> which makes -ANY- contribution that one might make a waste.

Actually it was a genuine question, no tact, no insult intended.

I really wanted to understand where you are coming from.  It seems you
feel that Plan 9 has failed, and so ANYone contributing to it is
wasting effort.  Fair enough; I understand your position.

In that case, this applies to Russ as much as anyone.  You have just
had him contribute something when, not only was it against his better
judgement, but yours as well. So I'm searching for an understanding.

You must want the code, and this is supported by your 'thank you'
email.  So the code isn't entirely useless to you.  In that case,
contributing it to Plan 9, on the face of it, doesn't seem entirely
wasted.  I have to say that I find this slightly inconsistent, but
it's not the big issue for me. We'll move on to my original question.

If Plan 9 has failed (in your opinion), you don't want the code for
Plan 9.  You must want the code for something else, a different
operating system, to learn from, I don't know, it's not important.

In short, you feel it might have value, and therefore should be 'out
there' so that the community can judge its usefulness, irrespective of
the creator's opinion. Again, I understand your position here.

Right.  I'll rephrase my question, omitting Plan 9, in case that
is the sticking point.  It was

> Can I ask what Hangar 18 users have contributed to the
> Plan 9 code base?

It is now:

	Can I ask what code Hanger 18 users have contributed to the
	community?

And also:

	What code do the Hangar 18 users have that
	they haven't made available to the community yet? Remember,
	it's not for you to judge its usefulness.