From: "Ethan Gardener" <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 in Summer of Code
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 12:09:43 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021, at 8:20 AM, sirjofri wrote:
> Hey anths and community,
>
> That's good news.

It is. :)

> The p9f ideas page links to related projects, including 9atom and even
> acme-sac. Could you also add the 9front pages to it?
>
> http://fqa.9front.org/appendixg.html
> http://fqa.9front.org/appendixb.html
>
> The bounties page might not be well suited for GSoC, but might act as
> another source of inspiration.

Just to note: The bounties page contains some updates the GSoC page does not. Perhaps most notable is video playback which looks like it might be nearly done.

> Btw I never really met any 9atom guy, only 9front people who played
> around with 9atom and wanted to port some 9atom stuff to 9front.

9atom development ceased years ago, possibly before 9legacy got started. It had one developer; he posts occasionally. 9atom was related to Coraid in some way. Coraid used 9front, but the board of directors made them switch to Solaris, and then, "proving the adge that companies who switch operating systems go bankrupt, they went bankrupt." This was about 2014 or 15.