On 25/07/12 16:06, John Floren wrote: (snip) > Just write the code, nobody cares. The manual pages define an > interface, and you're going to implement it. The manual pages are > copyrighted, sure, because they're written works and are automatically > protected by copyright. Besides the recent Google vs. Oracle fiasco, I > can't think of a time an open-source project had legal problems by > writing new code to implement an API. And, based on a brief reading of > http://www.groklaw.net/pdf3/OraGoogle-1202.pdf, it looks as though a > US judge has ruled that an API is not subject to copyright; if you > implement the 9P API, you should be fine. Also, since you're doing a > free reimplementation of code which is currently available free to > everyone by the creators (Lucent), I have a hard time figuring out > exactly what basis they'd have for a lawsuit. john Hi John - thanks for that. Thanks also to everyone who has commented in this thread - you've been very helpful! This is one of the most helpful lists that I've been on. This feedback is very useful as a guide to how to proceed. Although I'm not running Plan 9 at present (I'm on Linux), I'm very impressed with its elegance. Everything from kbdfs to the plumber to the Venti filesystem - it's all beautifully thought-out. The way that Venti uses SHA1 hashes to store data reminds me a lot of Git (which I also really like - there's another elegantly designed bit of software). Thanks again, all - bye for now :) - Andy