* [9fans] gnupg or pgp for plan9?
@ 2006-03-27  4:30 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2006-03-27  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all

Anybody working on a port of gnupg. I would like to use it store
sensitive files to public servers
like mordor etc.

,Fernan

--
Public PGP/GnuPG key (http://www.fernski.com)
pub 1024D/3576CA71 2006-02-02 Fernan Bolando

* Re: [9fans] gnupg or pgp for plan9?
@ 2006-03-28  0:48 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-03-28  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think a better route would be to build s/mime compatable signatures
and encryption into upas/fs and upas/marshal so applications without
a need to know would not have to know.

- erik

@ 2006-03-29  1:13 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-03-29  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

somehow you understood the opposite of what i ment.
the point is that using encrypted/signed s/mime with upas
should be transparent.  i would think the easiest way to do that would
be to do the translation as  close to the edges of the system as possible.
those edges would be upas/fs -- which presents a mail box as a filesystem
and upas/marshal which builds an rfc-2822 message for sending.

i had not thought of using s/mime for general encrypted storage.
mime is not a particularly friendly or easy-to-parse format.
i would think that using, say, blowfish in cbc mode would be
plenty compatable.  mcrypt/mhash (http://(mcrypt|mhash).sourceforge.net/),
for example, could decrypt this on a unix-like machine.
(not that either is svelt.)

what would be the advantage of using s/mime outside of email?

- erik