* [9fans] Can't install on VirtualPC
@ 2006-04-02  6:50 Moroo Jun
From: Moroo Jun @ 2006-04-02  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans Bell Labs of the OS Plan 9 from

Today(2006/4/2), I downloaded plan9.iso.bz2 from bell lab and install
it using VirtualPC.

1. Start VirtualPC(6.1.1)
2. Create new PC
3. Capture CD image
4. boot in VirtualPC
5. loader said
Boot device: fd0
boot from:

I tried three boot from. no luck.
sdC1!cdboot!9pccd.gz
sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz
sdD1!cdboot!9pccd.gz

* Re: [9fans] Can't install on VirtualPC
@ 2006-04-02  7:04 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-04-02  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

VPC can't boot the installation CD image.  I never did figure out
why.  You need to download the floppy boot image, and boot with both
it and the CD image attached.  After the install is complete you can
toss the floppy image.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] Can't install on VirtualPC
@ 2006-04-02 18:58   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-04-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 11:04:14PM -0800, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> VPC can't boot the installation CD image.  I never did figure out
> why.  You need to download the floppy boot image, and boot with both
> it and the CD image attached.  After the install is complete you can
> toss the floppy image.

I've gotten Virtual PC on the Mac to boot from the Plan 9 installation
CD, but I don't remember how.  It was strange, however it worked.

It seems, however, that they've modified virtual PC to intercept the
middle mouse button and map it to button 1, so it's sort of useless for
Plan 9.  Also, the virtualized disk access to horribly slow; I'm waiting
for qemu to get up to snuff (or just to get an Intel based Mac and
dual boot, which perhaps shouldn't be too hard).

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Can't install on VirtualPC
@ 2006-04-03 13:11     ` Moroo Jun
From: Moroo Jun @ 2006-04-03 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I can boot and install using Virtual PC on Tiger by old copy of
plan9.iso.bz2(2003/12/18).

@ 2006-04-03 13:41       ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2006-04-03 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've done a handful of installs into Virtual PC 6.x on OS X 10.3 and
10.4, straight from the ISO. never had any issues (well, during the
install; my Virtual PC subsequently broke, but that's an unrelated
issue).