* [9fans] Virtual PC server
@ 2006-09-19  2:06 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-19  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Question here:

In your opinions, would it be possible to run a CPU/auth server (and
possibly serve files) reliably and well from a Virtual PC session
running Plan 9? Virtual PC is running on a newer Mac desktop machine;
it would be a general, primary server for a small network of Plan 9
machines, probably netbooting some Sun machines (if we can get the
Suns to boot). The alternative is to use a Pentium II that I have put
together, 233 Mhz, 384 MB of RAM, 20 GB hard drive. Plan 9 is already
installed on both systems, so there isn't really a compatibility
problem. My main concern with the Virtual PC route is availability;
any other pros or cons you guys can come up with?

Thanks

John Floren
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: [9fans] Virtual PC server
@ 2006-09-19  7:58 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-09-19  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My main concern with the Virtual PC route is availability;
> any other pros or cons you guys can come up with?

My experience with Virtual PC (on a 1.25Ghz G4) is that it's much
too slow for any kind of serious use.

* Re: Re: [9fans] Virtual PC server
@ 2006-09-19 10:19   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2006-09-19 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/19/06, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:

> My experience with Virtual PC (on a 1.25Ghz G4) is that it's much
> too slow for any kind of serious use.

agreed, so long as you have to cross chip types. so i'd say it depends
what "newer" means in the initial question. parallels, which just has
to do the virtualization, not the chip emulation, runs Plan 9 quite
well. if you're going that route, you'll likely find better
performance on your mac than from your PII (depending on the specifics
of what you're doing).

i've been using Plan 9 in parallels for a while now, to see if it'll
hold up in exactly that sort of environment. it's been good so far.
biggest motivation for me was a desire to save the space and power
consumption of another server.

anthony