* [9fans] osc drawterm big sur
@ 2020-11-18 13:17 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-11-18 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

osx drawterm source has been broken for a while due to apple withdrawing support fot quicktime libraries.

with the move to big sur the prebuilt binaries now fail to run (i am guessing the quicktime shared libraries have now gone too)

anyone able to help? i am an osx programming newbie.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] osc drawterm big sur
@ 2020-11-18 13:54 ` Michael Engel
From: Michael Engel @ 2020-11-18 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 18.11.2020 14:17, Steve Simon wrote:
> osx drawterm source has been broken for a while due to apple withdrawing support fot quicktime libraries.
>
> with the move to big sur the prebuilt binaries now fail to run (i am guessing the quicktime shared libraries have now gone too)
>
> anyone able to help? i am an osx programming newbie.
This version of drawterm from github compiles on Big Sur/macos 11
(tested on an M1 Mac Mini) and seems to work:
https://github.com/Plan9-Archive/drawterm-metal-cocoa

Clang complained that it doesn't know about the option "-march=native"
used in the makefiles , simply removing this from Make.osx-cocoa and
Make.osx-metal was sufficient.

-- Michael

* Re: [9fans] osc drawterm big sur
@ 2020-11-18 16:37 ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-11-18 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, 9fans

Quoth Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:

> osx drawterm source has been broken for a while due to apple withdrawing support fot quicktime libraries.
>
> with the move to big sur the prebuilt binaries now fail to run (i am guessing the quicktime shared libraries have now gone too)
>
> anyone able to help? i am an osx programming newbie.

While I don't have Big Sur, the drawterm at
http://drawterm.9front.org/ builds fine for
me with cocoa  + catalina:

        cd $drawterm
        mk CONF=osx-cocoa

You need all of xcode installed to process
some of the interface builder files.

If there are issues on big sur, let me know.

* Re: [9fans] osc drawterm big sur
@ 2020-11-19 11:25   ` Daniel Morandini via 9fans
From: Daniel Morandini via 9fans @ 2020-11-19 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi folks,
> While I don't have Big Sur, the drawterm at
> http://drawterm.9front.org/ builds fine for
> me with cocoa  + catalina:
>
>        cd $drawterm
>        mk CONF=osx-cocoa
>
> You need all of xcode installed to process
> some of the interface builder files.
>
> If there are issues on big sur, let me know.
I just double checked on Big Sur and works as stated above,
** provided CC=clang ** [1]

Does not work with gcc.

dan

[1] Apple clang version 12.0.0 (clang-1200.0.32.2)

* Re: [9fans] osc drawterm big sur
@ 2020-11-19 11:40     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-11-19 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i just have the xcode supplied clang and it works well.

i have two issues with it:

my shift key is generating spurious peter-face characters which makes typing rather painful (i have to delete these as i type)

there is no /mnt/term/dev/secstore device containing my secstore when i authenticated to drawterm, so i need to authenticate to secstore again in my profile which is irritating. this may be by design as having drawterm know. all my secrets feels a bit foolish.

it idefinitely feels much snappier than the old drawterm.

thanks

-Steve

@ 2020-11-19 14:58       ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2020-11-19 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I'm not on OSX, but:

19.11.2020 12:40:00 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
> there is no /mnt/term/dev/secstore device containing my secstore when i
authenticated to drawterm, so i need to authenticate to secstore again in
my profile which is irritating. this may be by design as having drawterm
know. all my secrets feels a bit foolish.

I never got anything secstore related working with drawterm. I always
needed to get my secrets after drawterm connected separately (eg in
profile). I personally would like to have the secrets fetched by
drawterm. It seems like it only fetches them to connect with the cpu
server and then forgets about the keys.

Because of that, it seems like you can safely remove these drawterm lines
from your profile. I never heard of anybody to get this working
properly...

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] osc drawterm big sur
@ 2020-11-20 10:30         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-11-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ok,

this drawterm is working fine for me now.

the cocoa build fails to start, not even prompting me for secstore passwords.

the metal build works with a small match (bodge?) applied, and i backported the /dev/secstore change from an old drawterm i have here.

i assume /dev/secstore was removed as it is bad security practice - which is true. i added it back under the -S option so it is not the default.

NB to be really sure your secrets have gone i suggest you have “cp /dev/null /mnt/term/dev/secstore” in your profile - overwrite them rather than just truncating the file.

i have submitted pull requests on github for these changes.

-Steve