From: trebol <trebol55555@aol.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] PBSR...EI
Date: Mon,  3 Jun 2013 00:40:34 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello everyone,
maybe this can be of interest to someone.

I have downloaded from 9legacy the old 9spirit iso (the newest uses bell's 9load, doesn't it?)
I have installed the system selecting a fat partition with bell's iso. All went right, and I reboot.

First thing happens:
MBR...PBS1...Bad format or I/O error

So I load the CD and disk/format the fat partition with 9load, pbslba and 9pf from the CD.

This board has 2 IDE ports and 2 SATA ports.  If I have one disk in SATA and other in master of first IDE, 9load of the official plan9
gets confused and can't load the kernel.  9load from the CD boots the kernel, but after 'root is from ...' the kernel crashes with

/boot/kfs does not exist

All this is about sdC0.  It's weird, because once the system is running (the CD) all the disk are recognized right. So first thing learned:
let the SATA disk and remove master of primary IDE, or let IDE and remove SATA.
(The official iso doesn't boot, no matter if I dance a tango or a bossa-nova with my disks)

Now I can boot with the kernel and 9load from the CD.
With CD's 9load and bell's 9pf, the system halt with /boot/kfs does ...

So I have official plan9 root with 9load, pbslba and 9pf from old 9spirit iso.

I know those are patches from erik, so the best would be use his new kernel, but the
cpu0:spurious interrupt ... is a little intimidating to an ignorant like me.

I will try his new iso, and thanks erik.

Regards,
trebol.