* [9fans] Networking in VirtualBox (DNS problem?)
@ 2013-08-07 13:39 Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-08-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all,

The newest version of VirtualBox (4.2.16) works with Plan9 (at last!)
but I can't figure out how to set up networking (I had no trouble
setting it up with qemu before.) For reference, I'm using VirtualBox
(the version described) in a MacBook. I have tried bridget and NAT for
all adapters, and the only instance I got something working was

NAT,
Intel PRO MT/1000 Desktop

on bootup the card was detected, ip/ipconfig didn't complain with this
setting (it complained with most bridged setups with Airport.)  cat
/net/dnb gave me 127.0.0.1 as my IP (hmmm) but Google's DNS servers,
which sounds okay. ndb/dns -r didn't complain either, but ip/ping
google.com did: cs problem, dns problem. I thought it was just that
the network didn't work, but ip/ping 212.106.221.227 (that's
google.com) or ip/ping 88.221.15.26 (that's reddit.com) did work
without any problems. So my best guess is that dns (or cs) are the
culprits. dnsquery does nothing (complains about anything I get to
ask) and the same goes for dnsdebug ("crapped" error messages for all
queries.)

Any setup hint?

Ruben

* Re: [9fans] Networking in VirtualBox (DNS problem?)
@ 2013-08-07 13:48 ` ikrabbe.ask
From: ikrabbe.ask @ 2013-08-07 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey Ruben,

from my past times using VirtualBox I found this quote:

“This one: It took me over a day of sweat, blood and tears to get the network running. Actually the PCNet adapters don't seem to work at all. I found just this one Network setting to be good:
Adapter 1: Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (Bridged adapter, eth0)
where the `MT Server' version is absolutely essential, as the MT Desktop version does not work!”

from

http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/installing_plan_9_in_a_virtualbox/index.html

I would recommend using qemu these days, though.

Cheers,

ingo

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5761 bytes --]

From: "Rubén Berenguel" <ruben@mostlymaths.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] Networking in VirtualBox (DNS problem?)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:39:00 +0200

@ 2013-08-07 14:43   ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-08-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Ingo,

I had perused that thread already (almost all Google results, in
fact.) But your answer made me realise something: I wasn't using qemu
because I could not install a fresh Plan9 in a Qemu image from within
Qemu (I don't remember the problem now.) But now I can boot the qemu
image I have created with VirtualBox and I'm happy with Qemu :)

Now problem is that although the dns server is configured correctly
(dnsquery google.com ip returns a bunch of ips for google) ip/ping
answers with corrupted reply. But abaco browses correctly so... I
won't bother. Thanks!

Ruben

@ 2013-08-07 15:16 ` Carl Phillips
From: Carl Phillips @ 2013-08-07 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Ruben,

If you still want to try and get dns working in VirtualBox:

try editing /rc/bin/termrc so that the ip/ipconfig and ndb/dns -r lines
are always executed - comment out the tests above each of these lines.
Reboot the vm after making these changes.

This works well here on an Arch Linux host with Virtualbox 4.2.16 Plan 9
vm configured for bridged networking, Intel Pro/1000 MT Server and DHCP
from a router on a wired lan.

Carl