* [9fans] installation timezone
@ 2006-03-06 12:20 Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-03-06 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I would like to be able to select the time zone when installing or at
least removing the -L from the TIMESYNC options, becouse i always have
a venti error telling about arena creation time is in the future or
something like that.

is -L option used with timesync in the termrc used in the install iso
or it is just in termrc of the installed system?

thanks

gabi

* Re: [9fans] installation timezone
@ 2006-03-06 15:57 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I would like to be able to select the time zone when installing or at
> least removing the -L from the TIMESYNC options, becouse i always have
> a venti error telling about arena creation time is in the future or
> something like that.
>
> is -L option used with timesync in the termrc used in the install iso
> or it is just in termrc of the installed system?

The install doesn't even run timesync.  It just assumes
that the local clock is in GMT (the default when not running
timesync).  This doesn't seem like much of a big deal.
I'd rather tell venti not to print if it's only a few hours difference.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] installation timezone
@ 2006-03-06 16:08   ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-03-06 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

if there is no problem with venti, there is no problem at all :)

if the default is gmt i would set up the /adm/timezone/local to gmt by
default too for new systems. (just for consistency?)

thanks

gabi

@ 2006-03-06 16:24     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-06 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if the default is gmt i would set up the /adm/timezone/local to gmt by
> default too for new systems. (just for consistency?)

The contents of /adm/timezone/local have no effect on what
time(0) returns during the install.  They only affect what time zone
is used to *print* the time.

They do matter if you're running aux/timesync -L, because -L says
assume that the PC clock is set to local time instead of GMT.
If your local PC clock is set to GMT (e.g., you are not dual-booting
with Windows) then just remove the -L from termrc after installing.
This is not hard.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] installation timezone
@ 2006-03-06 16:35       ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-03-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

Well just happened that in the last install I've done, venti started to dump
before i can edit termrc, remove the -L from termrc and reboot. (really acme
hanged while loading due to the initial dump, when the load went down acme
started as usual, but fossil was dumped). May be i should be more quickly,
but after installing without dma, i wasn't seeing the screen :)

as you said if there is no real problem with venti, it doesn't matter. one
can change the timezone and the termrc later.

@ 2006-03-06 16:51       ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-03-06 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think the -L should not be there by default, dualbooting to Windows is by far
not the common case.

uriel

@ 2006-03-06 16:57         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-06 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I think the -L should not be there by default,
> dualbooting to Windows is by far not the common case.

Perhaps not in your world.  It is in mine.  We're not all zealots.

/rc/bin/termrc.local exists so that you can override things like this.
Set TIMESYNCARGS=(whatever you want).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] installation timezone
@ 2006-03-06 16:59         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-03-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I think the -L should not be there by default, dualbooting to Windows is by far
> not the common case.

i don't know.  i do that more often than i boot Linux on my dual boot
machines, but then again i run Windows in GMT without timezone change
since i'm close enough (it's a little off during summer time)