* [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
@ 2014-02-17 14:19 Adriano Verardo
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all

A synthesis of 1 week of attempts.

A fresh Dell 3010, AHCI, several fresh USB keys. Bell's, 9Atom and
9Front don'install.

usbinstamd64: several issues, as already documented in another thread.
An additional note: a persistent "addpart: #S/sdE0: i/o error" message.

9Atom cd downloaded on February, 5: rio install starts as usual, all ok
till the fdisk-w .
No useful messages. Only a generic warn (on rio window) and a console
display
of the disk identification data. Then all stops having no Plan9
partition to install on.
Trying on an pre-partitioned disk (by 9Front) the same problem arises in
prepdisk,
after the q cmd (not w+q). Same messages.
So 9Atom seems to have problems with usb and AHCI, but only in writing
the partion. VGA ok.

Bell's usbdisk download yesterday: hangs after a few messages. I can
send video snapshots
to anyone interested. Let me know.

Bell's cd downloaded on Feb, 5: rio install starts as usual but the disk
is not detected at all.

9Front cd downloaded on Feb, 9: boots ok but doesn'configure the VGA.
So text mode, all default choices. I/O error(s) when reaming the filesystem.
Partisk and prepdisk ok. Video snapshots available, let me know.

Hoping this could be useful.

adriano