From: Adriano Verardo <adriano.verardo@mail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] No regression tests
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 00:11:24 +0100	[thread overview]

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
> On Tue Mar 25 01:51:36 EDT 2014, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
>> A few weeks ago i wrote about an unkillable manager of usb barcode
>> readers.  That code worked perfectly for 5+ years, with absolutely no
>> changes.
>>
>> IMHO the problem seems to be a change in Bell kernel sources, as under
>> 9Atom all works as expected.
>>
>> Unfortunately I can't say what is the last working release, because
>> the problem has been noted for the first time some weeks ago, but the
>> kernel is rebuilt frequently and the sources are upgraded, non
>> regularly, 3/4 times in a year.
> that's interesting.  what state are these processes in what are
> the backtraces?
The task is basically a customized keyboard manager which
open a channel in /srv. When running ps shows 4 instances, as it
is started by usbd and forks 3 times.

Unplugging the reader all four processes must (should) terminate.
On Bell, since a while ago, only three die. Then, when plugging in again
there is a spurious process which doesn't allow the other (new 4) to work.

Kill nor slay works, the only solution is a reboot.

Internal debug prints (#ifdef, no code changes) show exactly the same
under Bell and Atom. In both cases, when unplugging, the manager
notify the condition, notify it terminates but under Bell this doesn't
actually happen.

I regret not to have more detailed info. I suspect there is something
changed in the detach primitives or so. But its only a very personal
opinion.

adriano