* [9fans] mv macro set documentation - found!
@ 2007-11-11  2:51 Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-11  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello. I was noticing the Plan 9 Documentation Project needed info on
the mv macro set. Apparently, according to http://troff.org/
macros.html, a Rick Richardson (whose email address is on that page,
fortunately) gave me a pdf containing the original paper on mv. I
will be putting it in /n/sources/contrib/pietro later - but beware;
the pdf is humongous, and can choke page (or whatever pdf viewer you
use) - I suffered.

* [9fans] Re: mv macro set documentation - found!
@ 2007-11-12  1:40 ` Darren Bane
From: Darren Bane @ 2007-11-12  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> Hello. I was noticing the Plan 9 Documentation Project needed info on
> the mv macro set. Apparently, according to http://troff.org/
> macros.html, a Rick Richardson (whose email address is on that page,
> fortunately) gave me a pdf containing the original paper on mv. I
> will be putting it in /n/sources/contrib/pietro later - but beware;
> the pdf is humongous, and can choke page (or whatever pdf viewer you
> use) - I suffered.

Slightly off-topic, but future readers on Google Groups may be
interested to know that I prefer the results from Russ Cox's macros
in /n/sources/contrib/rsc/talk.  Obviously other people's tastes will
differ.
--
Darren Bane

* Re: [9fans] Re: mv macro set documentation - found!
@ 2007-11-12  1:43   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-12  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In my opinion, mv needs a whole lot of improvement - especially for
something dated 1980. Uriel's slides collection is more supreme; I
have yet to look at yours.

@ 2007-11-16 10:19     ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2007-11-16 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
> In my opinion, mv needs a whole lot of improvement ...

mv was useful back when we made "viewfoils" on special thermal
media and mounted them in cardboard frames.  But it cannot
compete with PowerPoint..

* Re: [9fans] Re: mv macro set documentation - found!
@ 2007-11-16 19:47       ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What it should do is provide macros like .BO for bold. It does
support pictures with pic, though. I haven't seen an option to remove
the "cut here" parts, though.

On Nov 16, 2007, at 5:19 AM, Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:

> Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
>> In my opinion, mv needs a whole lot of improvement ...
>
> mv was useful back when we made "viewfoils" on special thermal
> media and mounted them in cardboard frames.  But it cannot
> compete with PowerPoint..

* [plan9mod] Re: [9fans] Re: mv macro set documentation - found!
@ 2007-11-19 13:45         ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2007-11-19 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
> What it should do is provide macros like .BO for bold.

The usual troff directives should work, e.g. \fB.

> I haven't seen an option to remove the "cut here" parts, though.

For the DWB 2.0 version of the macros ([DWB]/lib/vmca),
the following does that:

.de )t
..
.VS \" or whataver ...

This replaces the macro that implements the cut marks.
I presume that something similar could be used to get
rid of the labels in the margin and + corner markers.