* [9fans] Plan 9 on the Acer Aspire One
@ 2010-09-06  6:47 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-09-06  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I tried installing Plan 9 on the Acer Aspire One,
after having checked that I can boot into it via
PXE. I used erik's 9atom2.iso. However, without
having touched the mbr, when trying to boot off
the disk, it simply hung after BIOS POST. Then,
having tried

disk/mbr -m /386/mbr /dev/sdD0/data

(yes, disk is at sdD0, and there are not enough
BIOS options to change that) I get:

"Press a key to reboot"

after BIOS POST. So, there's not even an attempt
to find or deal with the loader yet - it seems purely
a problem of the MBR? Is there something that can
be done here?

If I PXE boot with the atom 9pxeload and the atom
kernel and all, everything works fine; but I'd like to
be able to boot off the internal harddisk. Any ideas?

Thanks,
ak

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on the Acer Aspire One
@ 2010-09-06 12:40 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-09-06 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akumar, 9fans

> (yes, disk is at sdD0, and there are not enough
> BIOS options to change that) I get:
>
> "Press a key to reboot"

that doesn't look exactly like anything that plan
9 prints.  perhaps it printed one of these two
messages?

	(Bad format or )?I/O error
	Press a key to reboot...

if so, the problem would be in pbs.  perhaps
the comments in the source will help.  there are
some limits where the booted partition can be
on disk.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on the Acer Aspire One
@ 2010-09-06 23:12   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-09-06 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:40 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> that doesn't look exactly like anything that plan
> 9 prints.  perhaps it printed one of these two
> messages?
>
>        (Bad format or )?I/O error
>        Press a key to reboot...

I don't see anything like that - perhaps there is some
key combo during bootup that will show me more
verbose startup info? I couldn't find anything in BIOS
setup for that.

> if so, the problem would be in pbs.  perhaps
> the comments in the source will help.  there are
> some limits where the booted partition can be
> on disk.

Sorry, which source?

Also, is this with regards to using /386/pbs versus
/386/pbslba during disk/format? I thought that was
only an issue if the first active partition is further
into the disk than some 8.5 GB? That isn't the case
here.

@ 2010-09-06 23:21     ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-09-06 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just for the sake of completeness, here is some
information about the disk in question:

cpu% cat /dev/sdD0/ctl
inquiry SSDPAMM0008G1
config 044A capabilities 2B00 dma 00550010 dmactl 00000000 rwm 1 rwmctl 0
model	SSDPAMM0008G1
serial	CVPA8276824Q2
firm	Ver2.I0H
feat	lba nop