From: Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Attempts to set timezone don't stick?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:29:08 -0500	[thread overview]

On Nov 12, 2012, at 21:15 , Phineas Pett <phineas.pett@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, thanks.  The manual has answered a lot of my questions so far, but
> apparently I need to read more carefully; but still, if I am logged
> into a remote system in a different time zone, shouldn't my client be
> able to display client-local time?  Is there a mechanism for that?  It
> seems to me that would be a logical benefit of the client having its
> own view of the namespace.

You can do that, if you really want. Observe the following:

: root; date
Mon Nov 12 21:24:49 EST 2012
: root; bind /adm/timezone/US_Hawaii /adm/timezone/local
: root; date
Mon Nov 12 21:25:21 EST 2012
: root; cp /adm/timezone/local /env/timezone
: root; date
Mon Nov 12 16:25:30 HST 2012

(the bind isn't needed, you can copy directly; it's just there for illustration)

Note, however, that everything started before you do this will have the old
idea about the timezone. Personally, when I've been in that situation, I've
found the cost of getting confused between, say, what a log file says
versus what 'date' says to be more problematic than just remembering that
I'm (virtually) in Japan.

Anthony