* [9fans] Attempts to set timezone don't stick?
@ 2012-11-13  1:33 Phineas Pett
From: Phineas Pett @ 2012-11-13  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello List,

I'm attempting to setup a native Plan 9 system for the first time, but
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the timezone to ``stick.''

Putting the following in my /lib/profile seemed the intuitive and
correct thing to do:

bind /adm/timezone/US_Central /adm/timezone/local

But it does not work, and I don't understand why.

The following also failed:

cat /adm/timezone/US_Central > /adm/timezone/local

In desperation I set the clock to sync with a time server.  This
works, but the clock only remains set for a few minutes and then it is
drastically off again until it contacts the time.

The hardware is a ThinkPad R-51.

Thanks,
Phineas