* [9fans] vga vesa works on mp pc
@ 2009-12-09  0:05 geoff
From: geoff @ 2009-12-09  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've just pushed out a small change to /sys/src/9/pc/realmode.c that
allows monitor=vesa to work on multiprocessor pcs without *nomp being
defined in plan9.ini (i.e., you can use all available processors [or
cores] and still use vesa mode).  I've also pushed out new kernels, so
the distribution built tonight should include this fix.

* Re: [9fans] vga vesa works on mp pc
@ 2009-12-09  1:21 ` Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2009-12-09  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM,  <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> I've just pushed out a small change to /sys/src/9/pc/realmode.c that
> allows monitor=vesa to work on multiprocessor pcs without *nomp being
> defined in plan9.ini (i.e., you can use all available processors [or
> cores] and still use vesa mode).  I've also pushed out new kernels, so
> the distribution built tonight should include this fix.

Cool, thanks!

If I read this right, you turn off interrupts on just the CPU
executing in realmode. Is the really all that had to be done for vesa
to support MP systems?

-- vs

* Re: [9fans] vga vesa works on mp pc
@ 2009-12-09  2:27   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2009-12-09  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me, 9fans

As far as I can tell, yes, that's all it took.

The old code had been turning off the old 8259 interrupt controllers
used by uniprocessors but didn't disable the lapic on mp systems.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3462 bytes --]

From: Venkatesh Srinivas <me@acm.jhu.edu>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] vga vesa works on mp pc
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:21:18 -0500

       [not found] <<5635c0230e722ea92c95aec5a5887400@plan9.bell-labs.com>
@ 2009-12-09  0:37 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-12-09  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Dec  8 19:07:25 EST 2009, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> I've just pushed out a small change to /sys/src/9/pc/realmode.c that
> allows monitor=vesa to work on multiprocessor pcs without *nomp being
> defined in plan9.ini (i.e., you can use all available processors [or
> cores] and still use vesa mode).  I've also pushed out new kernels, so
> the distribution built tonight should include this fix.

very nice!

- erik