* [9fans] solved... Mac OS X Native drawterm "spinning" problem, unless run as root
@ 2007-03-23 16:26 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-03-23 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I found out this was due to an Application Enhancer I was running that
was only intended for one application.

While "APEs" are neat they clearly insert themselves in between mach
calls on some applications, which, in my case, unless I was running as
root, caused drawterm to spin.

Scary... but the "Spin Control" Developer tool caught it.

I had to open up a system preferences panel and disable the
enhancement in error.  There is a dialog to select applications to
avoid interposing the enhancer with, but it doesn't work unless your
application is a .app. (so much for us command line junkies...)

At any rate, I've now got drawterm without having to run with root
perms, and it explains why I didn't see this behavior on my laptop.

Beware of Haxies and APEs on Mac OS X, they almost all claim to be
"safe", but that kind of activity is just scary if you ask me.  (as is
mach_override)

- Dave

* Re: [9fans] solved... Mac OS X Native drawterm "spinning" problem, unless run as root
@ 2007-03-24  2:15 ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2007-03-24  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Check out the Month of Apple Bugs for how dangerous APE is.

Noah